Tuesday 30 July 2019

Of spinning things

I decided to sort out my spinning yesterday.  I also did a bit of spinning, I am happy to say.

I finished the blue that I was working on.


I have another braid of this and the plan is to spin this soon to make one nice big project.  

Then I finished some of the last red from my big run of red/pinks from a year or so ago.  


All that was left was about half a braid so I spun that up.

I thought about getting myself organized for plying and I thought I should look at what is waiting in the wings to be plyed.


Some Shetland top, from my purchase with my Julia.  I have a lot of fibre from the purchase of that wheel.


Corriedale from a small bag of fibre purchased long, long, long ago.  For mittens and stuff.


Some cream generic wool.  I think this batch came with my S51 and I spun it up on her as a test to see how it handled.  Destined for mittens.


Very very early spinning, some of the first wheel spun.  It is varying qualities and amounts of spin and twist but it shouldn't stay like this.  It will make fine mittens, no matter how bad it looks.  Mittens just have to be warm.


Some pretty fibre that Frazzled knitter brought me from Halifax.  I may have too much twist on this but there is lots of time to fix it.  You can see how the braid was sort of divided by colour.  They will be plyed together to get the same tones al the way through.  Warm, rich and so very pretty.


And last, the rest of the reds.  The original plan was to mash this all together, but the older stuff is spun much finer.  It was before I discovered the magic of long draw ish spinning.  Lots of fibres here and pretty blends, but I think, there will be lots there for a hat and mittens. If I mash them together or use them like a soft  series of shifting hues.

Sadly, I don't think spinning is going to be open to me the next few weeks.  My daughter in law is off to Ukraine today, to help her mother sort out her grandmother's affairs.  Grandma passed away yesterday and that is a blessing.  She was suffering so much the last few months having lost her independence and her ability to care for herself.  She was in very poor health and perhaps,it is time to rest.  It surely was time for her suffering to end. 

My story is going to be busy with kid things and some knitting I hope.  I'm just glad it is in summer.  Much more flexibility in summer.  Lots of things to do with each other so it is easier on grandma.

We are off to the races here, but first coffee.  I really need a coffee.

  

No comments: