Sunday 28 July 2019

Goofing Around.

Before things get lost in the wind, and I forget,  for Gaile.  The toe is Lucy Neatby's square toe.  It is on one her second sock video available on her website,  Lucy Neatby Designs.   The heel is a garter stitch short row heel which I knit with the sock yarn doubled.  I think the heel is on that same video.  There may be video showing these on youtube but Lucy's are the best and are worth it.  For Christine, yup the yarn is a Meilenweit.

I have still been taking it easy on the knitting front, though I will do more tomorrow as a test to see how my pinky feels.  Today I knit a swatch.


I pulled out the yarn I purchased for Kate Davies Myrtle.  The pattern asks for laceweight, but that is not going to happen.  With all the changes I need to make for fit, changing gauge and yarn is just not that big of a deal.  The most important thing is to know my gauge with the yarn and needles that I want to use.  After that it really is just a bit of math.  

The hard part for me is colour. The pattern asks for four and I have five.


I love all the colours, and I think that with my increased row gauge, having five colours keeps the right scale in comparison with the lace, but I am not sure if the blue is right.


It would make a lovely sweater with just the soft close to natural colours. subdued, elegant and warm, but I am not sure that is what I want here.  I am sort of drawn to the punch of that blue.   

The swatch is blocking now and there is no rush to decide except that I feel like I need to know right now.  Note that the white section, which looks sloppy, is the start of the swatch, done with a different needle size than the rest.  Depending how this looks once it is dry, I may do another  swatch and go down one more needle size.  Harrisville Shetland is a blooming sort of yarn so I think what I have is right, but keeping my mind and my options open is always good.

I don't know bout you but I have had a lovely weekend.  Some ladies came out to knit and I did some spinning and we had a lovely lunch in the little coffee shop here.  It was an F1 weekend so there was a very very exciting race in Hockenheim Germany. It was rainy.  It got weird, but was just wonderful to watch.  And I did much more spinning but I do have to save something for tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening, everyone.  What a great sort of day.



No comments: