Friday 5 April 2019

What to Take

My big knitting job for today is deciding what to take.  It is the weekend of our last Strawberry Creek retreat.   

First decision for this year, is no spinning.  If I spun today it would be tense and tight and wouldn't be at all what I would like.  So no spinning till the babysitting is done, hopefully next week.  I am also not taking my usual swath of books for people to look at.  I have no interesting new books this year where last year I had a bunch.  

I know I am going to take the sweater I'm currently working on but I would also like to take a little something else.  Which little something else is where the tough choices come in. 

I thought about taking a WIP.  The lace on my Bridgewater shawl awaits and would be interesting to knit, but I don't want to knit something so fine right now.  There really aren't any other ongoing projects that I would want to take.

Which leaves me to new things.  I can always start new things, I suppose.  I do have those projects that I sorted out to start after the babysitting was done.  It may well end up being one of these, but there are so many other things so the debate rages on.  

The criteria for knitting while away like this is easy. It has to be something relatively mindless.  I haven't seen people for months and I hope for many good conversations about yarny things.  I need to be able to listen and pay attention to other things while my hands move.  Garter stitch would be good. A Martina Behm pattern perhaps? A nice big cozy hap shawl for knitting through summer on chilly days.  (There will be chilly days, right?) Or simple stockinette in the round, like a sock. But not socks! 

I intend to spend some time standing staring at the yarn closet and the display cabinet before I leave. It's a good thing the retreat has no tight timelines.  If I am a little late, well, they know why.  I was overwhelmed by the lovely choices on offer right here in my own lovely store.      

No comments: