Tuesday 9 April 2019

A bit of Everything

Lest anyone think I only miss half my grand kids, I really should say that I had the same pang for my kiddies when I lived over in Spruce Grove and babysat my little boys every week when mom and dad were cleaning.  When my routine included them, there was a hole left once they didn't need me anymore and it took time to fill when the babysitting was done. There is always a pang in my heart when routine doesn't include my kiddies.

Yesterday was odd.  I couldn't start anything big or intense because I was waiting for a call to pick up the landlord from work. He traded in his two cars, including his spiffy and eminently collectible S2000,  on a new vehicle.  Both vehicles were standard which I do not drive, so my contribution to the event was bringing him home to take the other vehicle to town.  

While waiting for his call I spent time looking for some online fabric sources in Canada.  I know there are many stores out of the US, but I would rather find one here. I want to sew a few tops for summer and though I have a ton of fabric, I would really like them to be something more than plain black or green or blue.  I may have had my fill of plain.  I find myself really drawn to bold prints and bright colours so it may be that my summer tops are going to look like the shirts guys buy when they come home from a Hawaiian vacation.  There may be a little rayon or polyester, in direct opposition to my plan of natural fibre clothing.  For some garments, drape is a must.  It may be that I find prints and the drape I am looking for in cottons and linens.  We shall see.  

I also snatched enough time from internet rambling to finish these.  


Cassie asked for them a long time ago, and while it took some time to locate fabric, it has been a very long wait for her super hero panties.  It looks like a small bit of work, but one is a stretchy fabric and one is a woven. That disparity needed to be addressed before the appliques were applied. It isn't something I had done before and I wanted it to be sturdy and comfortable to wear.  With the babysitting, it just never got done.

And that little girl deserves to get these done  The last weekend she was here, she left a wee present for me around my computer screen.










Isn't that sweet?  That Gb is really a GD.  She told me she just got a bit mixed up and she tried to fix it before I found her.  

Today's job, is a bit of knitting and some sewing with a lot of handwork. I am going to sit down and watch The Favourite when I get to the hand work part.  Olivia Coleman is a wonderful actress.  She did a great job in The Rev and Broadchurch but one of the most interesting features of this movie is costuming.  Apparently, even in Britain, where they have deep stores of period clothing, there is very little available from the period of Queen Anne so the movie clothing was all designed and made from modern materials and made with a relatively small budget. I am so interested in seeing exactly what they came up with.   

There was knitting yesterday.  Lace edgings and summer tops were worked on and there will be an update later this week on both but for now, this is enough.   Time to be busy.  Isn't it grand?  !!

           

No comments: