Monday 5 November 2018

The remainders

It was not a weekend where any forward movement happened at all.  I developed a cold, I cut my yarn tensioning finger right where it matters, and I hd an overnight guest. The guest was great, but the rest not so much.  It wasn't a knitting weekend, but I am pretty pleased with what I got done on Friday.


This is what I have chosen for shawl storage. Basic Trones shoe storage.   Each 'box' is separate so you have an infinite number of ways you hang these to use.  These tidy shallow boxes don't impede the doorway at all and it puts my shawls where I can get to them quickly and easily.  I'm already wearing a greater variety of shawls day to day! I have to get the photos hung properly but otherwise this corner is done.


They do indeed store all my shawls nicely.  Over time, I am going to replace the ziplocs with cloth bags for storage.  I would much rather have the shawls in bags that breathe plus fabric won't puff with air over time so there will be room for many more shawls.  

And my sewing corner.  Thursdays project is still there waiting on the table for it's final finishing, mostly trimming of the threads, but the furniture is all in place.  I've tucked my yarn cabinet right in the corner.  It finishes up that nice much brighter space wonderfully.


That is the biggest change.  This part of the room is so bright and airy where before, it was dominated by the dark overfilled bookcases.


The shelves make much more sense here.  I had to set them  healthy inch away from the air vent behind them, but even so, it just feels right.  I have a bit more work to do on these.  I put stuff on the shelves but I did not organize them.  Ideally, this storage would be deeper shelving, deep enough for all my boxes, with doors on it to hide the full load the shelves carry but I have these old stacked Billy shelves so I will find a way to make it work.  My current plan is to extend a sturdy curtain rod out from the shelves so the curtain hangs properly straight.  I'm not sure how high the curtain will go but the goal is to close off the busy storage and leave only the books and a pretty box or two open up top. 

I still have a few boxes to fill with things.  Most of the stuff here has to go into the white boxes you can see just behind my new knitting chair. 


And those boxes will be tucked right beside the shelves in a nice tall ordered stack.  Sock yarn bits in one, handspun yarn in another, singles that need finishing, left over ends of yarns that are not sock yarn. That is the kind of thing that is going in these boxes.


There are a few things that I will move out to my spare room to finish up, but only things that are for processing wool. The goal here for my bedroom/study/sewing room is to create a more restful place, an airier, more open area to sit in, more accessible, one that better fits the way I am using this space.  

When I watch those home shows where a designer is making a craft space for the owners and I see them choose a few pretty looking bits to display on elegant shelving above an uncluttered desk, I laugh.  I laugh at them and I laugh at me, because boy oh boy, in a perfect world...  Reality is never like that.  My reality is messier and stuff never fits so elegantly as I would like. It doesn't mean that the things that support what I do, need to overwhelm.   


Right now, I am going to have a nap (See above and cold) but by the end of the day, all these little remainder tasks will be done, this room will be much more relaxing and I will be sitting pretty, knitting.

No comments: