Friday 2 November 2018

Along with the sewing yesterday, I did manage to finish, or almost finish the Chase sweater. 



While I did not use up all of the yarn for the sweater proper,


there is not enough left to make the pocket, unless it was miniscule.  I'm glad I have another skein.

I am really pleased with this wool.  It's a lovely feeling as it runs through your hands.  Plus it says superwash, though by superwash, they mean wash in cold water in a machine on gentle and tumble dry on low. 

I have a bit more sewing and then some work on my room to do today.  My sewing is in my bedroom /study.  The way I have it set up right now, you have to walk through the area you are sewing in, to do anything in the room and I want to change that.  Beside all the small bits of thread from sewing, which seem to end up on the floor as often as not, the whole study part of my giant bedroom often ends up kind of ramshackle, like a junk drawer gone astray.  It is kind of a pain to get to the shelves to put stuff back so it ends up on the chair, the small table, the floor.   It's like a cascade failure, and pretty soon the effects of the disorder are everywhere.  Contrary to popular opinion, I really hate that.  I hate that I let it happen (because I do) and I hate having to tidy it up to do anything in that space.

But never enough that it starts me doing it properly in the first place.  I am a tougher nut than that to crack.  It's like I have to trick me. Putting stuff away properly is not just about having room for it, but about having the storage easy to get to as well.

I am moving my sewing to the wall currently occupied by my bookcase, and moving the bookcase to the walk through area.  If I can get to the bookcase easily, particularly when there is no where to set it when I am in a rush but in its proper place, I stand a much better chance of avoiding the cascade failures. 

Another part of this plan is to be able to use my knitting chair for actual knitting.  First off, my other chair really wasn't as comfortable as I hoped.  I got a new knitting chair, but it is stuck in the way of the wool closet doors.  I want to move it to a nice natural position with a good view of my audio visual set up.  It has become a habit to sit in my desk chair because my knitting corner is not angled to see the screen. I end up scrolling the internet rather than knitting while listening to books or internet courses. The desk chair is not conducive to knitting and isn't what I call comfortable.

I also have a solution to my shawl storage problem that needs to be installed.  I ended up going with a thing Ikea designed for shoe storage, the Trones cases.  I needed something narrow with  a door to contain unruly bags of shawls and these fit the bill.  They will hang on the wall in my dressing area, ready for me to reach easily, anytime without intruding on anything else. 

It's a bit of a job with a good cleaning of the whole room attached.  Big job, busy day plus a pocket to knit and embroider. Time to get moving.

No comments: