Tuesday 16 October 2018

Stopping the Chill on the Back of My Neck

All this focusing on shawls and pretty things for around my neck brought to mind task that I needed to do before we get deep into winter.  It is time to give my shaws a good airing.

From the time I started knitting, these small shawls have been my badge of honour, a reminder to myself that I was more, that I could do and be anything.  They were shield through some very hard times.  Through the last couple moves, they were tucked aside and only a chosen few that had been pulled out, were worn regularly.  I had my large shawls tucked in my sweater chest, and that has been enough though I wear something at my neck almost everyday for at least part of the day.  The back of my neck is always cold.  Seeing these pretty things laid out across my bed makes me want them back in service doing the job they have always done..

I currently keep my shawls and scarves, each tucked in a bag, in an underbed storage box and while it works, it is more a pain than anything.  It is an irritant to get them out and put them away so they end up sitting quietly unworn or in an untidy pile on my dresser.  Harrumph.

Some of my favourites, the delicate Viajante, the brilliant turquoise Aestlight, the pretty golden Eye of Partridge shawl made from  gift yarn from Brian.  I will never forget Brian's retelling of his first visit to the yarn store, nor Barb and Marcene's laughing as I told them.  And that brilliant Noro shawl on the end.  


And my first knitted thing from my first real spinning in that soft undulating blue or the Kureyon green shawl that always was commented on when I wore it.  I treasure the memories of that stormy day at the yarn store, matching yarns to make striped shawls and that plain blue lace scarf above?  It remains the only thing I ever won in any contest. It is such a beautiful thing. And way at the back is the softgreen shawl I wore in Kiev to Anthony and Olga's wedding. 


And light summer colours that remind me of friends and my pretty yellow Oscilloscope Shawl that I mean to knit again.  It was so much fun.  And there at the back a treasured prayer scarf.


And that bright blue summer wrap whose colour taunted me daily at the store until I bought it.  The shawl is Tuscany from No Sheep for You and still is one of the most fun knits I have ever done, and the Damson in the blues and blacks and the soft cream to black of my small Multnomah Shawl.


I need to find a better way to store these pretty things, something with easier access, but also where I can see them.  When they are out, they will be worn and I really want to do that again.  They will do much to keep the chill of winter away.  

Here at home, I dress pretty simply but I have to work to keep the painting clothes and pajamas from being my dominant style.  Now that winter is here, with all these pretty shawls in view, I am really determined to wear them...with my painting clothes and pajamas.   Time to turn up the heat on the back of my neck and on my style.  

No comments: