Friday 12 October 2018

Joy

I did not knit at all yesterday and I am good with that.  I wound yarn instead. 

I wound for anther vest, but this time, I think it is going to be a Shalom.  Shalom was on my mind when I purchased it and I think that is what it will be.  A nice fingering weight Shalom out of very lovely yarn.



It was well behaved on the winder and made for a much more pleasant experience than winding the Malabrigo.  I still do not know what it was about those skeins that was so difficult but it sure was. 

I did wind some other stuff in the morning but my entire afternoon was devoted to this. 


This is a very fine silk and camel blend that came home with me from a trip to Interweave's Knit Lab  few years ago. 


Very Fine.  Very Fine.  It is extremely soft and delicate feeling.  I have no idea what this yarn should be, only that it should be something delicate and light and gossamer.  Not something like the shawls from Gossamer Webs, though this yarn is ideally suited to knit one such  shawl.  I just don't feel I want the struggle of knitting a lace where there is patterning on every row.  That is a level of complexity I am not really interested in at the moment.  It has the potential to become a wedding ring shawl of the Shetland tradition or perhaps an Estonian heritage masterpiece. Winding this did not happen fast.  It took 4 hours of winding.  With breaks, it was my whole afternoon.  It isn't something I am planning to knit right away and I did debate stopping. 

I've been struggling lately, with staying in the moment, with keeping a positive outlook.  It is  function of the season, the shorter hours of sunlight.  Some of it is the deadline knitting and a long list of things people ask for.  I know they would be treasured and I do want to knit these things but somehow, that list takes away my ability to explore knitting simply for the joy of it all.  The list makes me feel as if it is a job, which is just silly.

In one of my breaks, I came across a post from Wil Wheaton on Facebook, that made me start thinking about how very much in my head this is.  Then, a friend linked to something on Youtube and I watched it and others and found enlightenment at the end of my little foray. The start of my journey was the very delightfully silly Two Set Violin Chicken videos.  Just google it.  If you are feeling down, might I suggest 'Pachelbel's Chicken'.   No way can you not laugh.  Eventually I came across this video of three people who are a hundred or over.  And I felt better.



It's just them talking, about joy and life and about just living for today.  The joy just seeps out of them, their eyes, their faces.   

"I'm a hundred and two...and a half",  
'If I'm making a cake and it fails, it becomes a pudding.", 
"It's really a wonderful wonderful feeling"

Hard not to be uplifted by them. 

For now, it is enough of a victory to simply have wound this very fine lace.  It took all afternoon.  I have a small  blister on the side of my finger and my right hand is a bit stiff from holding the ball for the four hours it took to hand wind,



but, I stayed with it to the end.  I now have an incredibly fine ball of yarn ready to knit something wonderful.  And that pleases me. Even in a stash full of yarns ready to knit into something wonderful,  having just one more skein, one more particularly lovely yarn ready to knit, pleases me.

Joy is contagious, even if it took meandering on the internet and a ball of cobweb silk and camel yarn.   

No comments: