Friday 19 October 2018

Goofing off

I am going out to dinner today, and that changes everything about what I plan to do today.  It means I can slack off and be lazy, like starting this post late.   Not that it matters but going out this evening means the afternoon is busy getting ready to go out and leaving early enough to get through rush hour Friday traffic and make it to the venue on time.  That means the only time I will get any serious stuff done today, is this morning.  I can knit during dinner, but I only expect to be working on socks.  There will be beverages beyond coffee and that rather restricts what I am capable of knitting well.  I do not sip and knit even when at home.  In company, indulging in beverages would be a dismal failure, kind of like that time I did short rows at 3 a.m. 

So today, I am working on this little thing.


I finished Carter's scarf yesterday.  I have tons of yarn left.  I only used half of what I bought.  Still it is better than running out.  Carter did not ask for a hat, but I have the yarn, and hats take so little time.

I am using the basic hat from Ann Budd's A Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.  This book has a bit of everything.  Mittens, hats, a sweater, a vest, all in multiple sizes and multiple gauges.  It was the first of these marvelous books from her.  I keep going back to them over and over and over again, because they just work.  If you don't have any of her Knitter's Handy books in your knitting library, you may want to ask yourself why, resolve to fix that and then get them all.  Because you need them.

This little hat is being made in the same way as I made the scarf, a 1x1 rib.  Carter, being 4 and halfway to 5, is in that place between sizes. I could do a hat up to 4 years or the hat, 4 years to adult small.  I chose the latter.  Carter is only going to grow, and this hat can grow with him.  By doing a 1 x 1 ribbing, I get a fit that will ease up in size as he grows but that will fit snugly now when he is still very small. I am hoping that the ribbing will also keep the hat fitting closely.  This is acrylic and I've never done a hat in acrylic and I worry about it, without the bounce back of wool.

Carter is still a small boy being 4.  It isn't a great age at all, even though being 4 is significant to 4 year olds.  Small is relative.  Isaac in grade four is not really small any more but he has a ways to go till he is a teenger.  Carter, ever my peanut, is smaller, and my wee Emmett is small but growing like a weed and is I am sure, quite determined to catch up.       


Look at my boys!  I've stolen this photo from mom's photo stream and I am not at all ashamed to do so.  Makes my heart melt.  

No comments: