Friday 9 February 2018

After contemplation comes teeny tiny knitting.

After all the contemplation and word searching fun, there came knitting.  Very rewarding knitting where in I call me a champion of cute today and where I win in every possible way.


 This was yesterday's event. More than that actually.  This was yesterday at the time I posted.  A lot of knitting happened after this photo.  By evening my hands were pretty much done with 2 days of fairly solid knitting. 

Today's event was this sweet little thing. 


Wee Liesl by Ysolda Teague.  Gosh darn it I love this pattern.  It's such a nice lace but much more than that, it is such an interesting take on making increases within the lace so that the whole thing is unseen.  It just magically grows and all of a sudden you are at the sleeves, and then it grows again and it is complete.  

It has a really traditional look to it, like something that your great grandmother would have knit, but it is knit entirely in one piece from the top down.  No sleeves, because these days, it really isn't needed.  What mums do need is a pretty little layering piece so that when you are in public, baby still looks a little fancy but all she needs to wear is a comfy ordinary sleeper.



I have both of these baby things out of Cascade Pacific, a decent yarn, but not something that I would use for much more than baby things.  While that gleam is really wonderful for the ridges of this lace pattern, it is too shiny for me personally.  Even for most baby things, I prefer pure wool, but I feel pretty strongly that you have to go with something mom will prefer, and that is what this is.  

I am pretty certain the young lady whom this is for, has a mom who isn't a big wool fan.  I think this mom has only had contact with wool yarns that itch and doesn't know about how delicious and how easy care real wool is.  If all you have ever known or heard, is that wool is itchy, far be it from me to change your mind with baby things for your first baby and certainly not for this mom who worked so very hard and so very long to have this wee girl..  With a new mom, you give her what she can work with and what fits with what she feels comfortable and safe with. She has enough other things to worry about and fret over right now.  

I have one more thing, a receiving blanket to hem, to wrap this up in and then I have to dig to see if I still have some pink ribbon to tie it all together.  This was a kind of fun little diversion, that was just a such a pleasure to knit. 

No comments: