Friday 5 January 2018

Perfect Things

In the fall of 2016, I was sitting in my very small room, and I was chilly.  I saw a really nice pattern and I had some lofty lovely yarn at hand, and I started knitting.  What happened was a sort of disaster.  It didn't look good on me at all, no fault to the designer at all.  It just did not look good on me and the lofty sturdy yarn I had chosen, was all wrong.

And yet, I ended up with something really good from it.  


A decent very wearable vest that is in constant use, even on the chilly days of summer.  It's that extra layer when one sweater doesn't cut it in winter.  It's perfect for wearing on a heavy housework sort of day.  It carries spring and fall just right. It's just so when you have a fever and chills; not too much in the fever part, not too little in the chill part.

It's been a couple of years now.  It has been washed over a dozen times.  It has grown softer and drapier with time.  Everytime I wear it, I spend a goofy amount of time petting it.  Honestly, people are starting to look.  Even my sweet Carter noticed I was petting my sweater yesterday.  

As much as I love it, I may have to stop wearing it because everytime I do wear it, I find myself with the almost uncontrolable urge to buy more Mule Spinner Two Ply.  

I have an enormous stash. Huge. Giant.  There is almost every kind of yarn in there.  I really truly am trying to generally live from my stash.  I have things that will do almost any job I want.  There are dozens and dozens of sweaters worth in that closet.  Except I am completely out of Mule Spinner Two Ply.  

Yesterday, I was cut off from the digital world but for my phone and that was probably a good thing, because I found myself with a loaded cart of Mule Spinner cones in 4 colours and I was looking for a colour to coordinate with it all.  And that was just the Mule Spinnner!  

That cart was also loaded with some of the CWM sock yarn too (incredibly soft, soft delicious stuff) and I would really love to have a cone of their medium gray in a one ply to use for colourwork with the several partial cones I already have of the one ply.  Seriously, the only thing that stopped me was that I don't bank on my phone so I couldn't transfer funds to pay.     

Mule Spinner Two Ply is a sturdy sort of yarn when you first work with it.  You can feel its stalwart nature in every strand.  It is a very prairie sort of yarn, but just like the people of the prairies found long ago when they settled here, the more you get to know it, the more beautiful it becomes.  

I will eventually buy more but first, I have promised myself that I will at least try to use up something from my stash.  And then, when that doesn't soothe my hungry for mule spinner heart, then I will have my way.     

No comments: