Tuesday 24 October 2017

Not a Knitting Day

I did not knit a stitch today.  I feel as if I ought to go and get a sock and do a little something knitterly before bed.  And I just might.  

But I was busy busy busy all day.

I think I mentioned my bargain flannelette?    I am pretty sure I did.  4 dollars a metre and really nice and thick for



sleeping or lounging pants for all comers.  The fabric is washed and is ready to go.  The pattern arrived today which is why this is out again.  Just reading and hoping I have enough to make quick work of laying it all out.  I chickened out from trying to make my own patterns.  This is so much easier and there are so many pants to sew.

If the pants go well, there will be time for some large sturdy aprons.  I want to make a couple for each household.  All the guys around here cook and I know that the girls will love to have some styled just like the big white ones that you find in commercial kitchens. I have a couple of those old commercial kind for a pattern and, if the first few turn out really bad, I will get some new aprons too.  Or if I am really really good and all goes particularly well, I might treat me too!


They are all going to be the same, or very close to it. Black edge trim from the masses of black linen I have on hand.   This has got to be washed yet, which is going to be a big job.

And tea towels.  Good Old fashioned tea towels.    That is what I was working on today.  

A few years ago, Olga brought back a mass of linen from her trip to Kiev with the kids.    


 It is really good quality linen and will wear like iron.  From what she told me, these linen lengths come from roller towel holders. 


From each length but for the blue, I made four decent sized towels.  The blue, is sadly, too short for anything more than perhaps a towel and a bread cloth.  Hey, that is an idea!  Bread cloths.  I can get three for sure out of it!

Well before lunch I had a large pile of sewing ready to go.  Towels and the curtains that were cut out about 3 weeks ago layered over some mending.  It was getting to be a big pile.


And then by late afternoon, I have cafe curtains hung in my living room (no more ugly mint green blinds!) and masses of tea towels hemmed and waiting.


 I think I hemmed a mile today, straight seams on very nice fabric.  

Next up, the  pièce de résistance, some happy little birds and flowers embroidered at one end of the tea towels.  That is the treat for me.  I get to do some modern quirky little embroidery motifs to create something new with a bit of old fashioned flair.  

This embroidery won't take long and will be a nice in between project. One towel here and there and pretty soon the pile will be done.  I hope.

Spinning today and then home to finish up the lace, I think.  My hand is well rested and is oh so ready to knit.

No comments: