Thursday 5 October 2017

Going full bore, but not the dull kind.

Well.  That was fun. Seriously amazing fun.  Endlessly engaging.

I firmly believe that when everything is right with my knitting, it moves along quickly.  It hasn't been trouble free and there is always at least one row that I have to pull back and redo (I am adding and extra yarn over at the end of the pattern row occasionally) but it is moving along at a rather remarkable rate.


I am approaching the first corner.  Two pattern repeats, I think and then the corner, which will likely take an entire repeat, and then on down the second side.  If I worked things out correctly, the 4 corners will be exactly the same.  If not, I will have to do a little fudging, to make them right. 

 
The more I knit the edging, the more I like the way this pattern looks with the rest of the design.  

I have a really good idea of my yarn consumption too.  Had I gone with the border the pattern uses on this shawl, I would have used 3 balls and maybe the smallest few metres of a fourth skein.  With my much wider border (26 stitches), I will use most of a fourth skein.  I have used about two thirds of each skein of the gradient colours and just a wee small bit of the purple.  

 I have a second skein of each of the gradient colours remaining.  When I ordered the yarns, I planned for leftovers so I could make a shawl for myself too, using just the darker gradients and whatever remained of the Sheeps Grey ordered at the same time. Using up more than the ordered amount of Sheeps Grey for Grandma's shawl was fine with me.  I still had plenty for a vest.  But I have 4 skeins remaining in my stash of Sport in Sheeps grey, exactly what I used for this shawl.  Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.    

I always thought that my Sheeps Grey stash yarn would be used for a vest or sweater.  I even had a prospective pattern picked out for it. I was leaning toward the XO Cardigan or the Clock Vest, both from Folk Vests by Cheryl Oberle,  but now, I am not so sure.  

Maybe I need to listen to the universe.  A dreamed of shawl may just be the more rewarding of the two things.  

A nice big square shawl just for me.  I've always wanted that.  

No comments: