Wednesday 27 September 2017

A whole swack of stuff!

I spent the entire day in fibre craft yesterday.  I did spinning with a friend in the morning, then went to the afternoon knitting group and then finished up with one of the newer evening groups in the Sherwood Park.  It was lovely and amazing and just really nice to spend the day that way and to meet a whole bunch of people I have not met before.

In between these things, I did the very smallest amount of Christmas shopping.  I didn't mean to.  I was actually looking for some fabric for an embroidery project I want to do. I didn't find it, but did find a heck of a deal on flannelette.  

Last Christmas I got my grown sons some silly socks.  Not handknitted ones, just other silly socks.  It cost more than it does when I knit a pair for myself and this year, I really must pair down, so the bargain shopping needs to start now.  

When I pop into a store, like a fabric store, I cruise the whole store and check out what kind of deals are available on everything.  You can find some pretty amazing stuff sometimes.  I found linen once, that was less than 3 dollars a metre. Pure linen.  You really just never know.  This time, tucked at the end of an aisle, there was a bargain on flannelette.

 4 dollars a metre and a nice decently thick fabric.  I picked up enough for a pair of sleep pants for each of my sons and for my grandsons too.  And the pink to make some sleep somethings for my granddaughter too. 

I know that pj's are part of Christmas for one of my families, and debated if this was the right move, but the way my own sons wear sleep pants isn't really about sleeping in them, it is about having casual comfortable pants around the house in their down time.  You can always use more easy pants. 
And for the kids, I only had to spend 12 extra dollars.  I had to buy extra for my oldest grandson.  He is taller that I could possibly get from leftovers from his dads pants, and the pink for Cassie.  Both of my little boys can easily be done with leftovers from the others. 

I did see some other really good deals that I would have loved to use for myself for tops, but in all honesty,  I already have plenty of clothes.  It just doesn't make sense to sew more blouses for myself when I don't really need them.  Once some of what I have are worn out, fine, but I don't need to stockpile for later.  I've already got a full shelf of that!


Most of this accumulation was purchased for skirts and pants for work wear.  It is good quality fabric and is plain enough that I can still use it for basic wardrobe items as I should need them.  I just need to sew it.  I don't want to stockpile fun prints and plaids.  Those go in  and out of style and there will always be a good deal on something.  You just have to look. 

My next step is going to have to be on the sly.  Patterns are pricey and I hate the idea of spending big bucks on something like a plain pant. I might have something in my pattern box for a starting point but can make a pattern off an existing pair next time one comes up for laundry and can scale as I need to.  For the kids, I will take a pattern when I am next babysitting.  A little newspaper or parchment paper will do perfectly for pattern swiping.   


I guess before all of this, before the patterns and before thinking of anything more, I need to wash this up.  It's pure cotton and is guaranteed to shrink.  No matter how much, the 4 metres per pant for the big guys I purchased, means there will still be plenty.  4 metres x 4 dollars equals a decently budget conscious Christmas gift.

The kid  stuff is really just a bonus.

No comments: