Tuesday 7 August 2012

Found things

I knew I would have the right colour trim for the jeans.  I knew because there was a time when I had all the colours of DMC embroidery floss.  

Back a few years, all the Beer companies up here were selling beer in nifty coolers in the summer time.  Mr. Needles collected them and donated them to me.  They were my early on stash holders and the type pictured below was my first knitting bag.  This kind was also my embroidery bag for several years before knitting entered my life.  

They fit all my boxes perfectly.  All the threads, all the accoutrements of embroidery, plus a project fit tidily inside.

I had forgotten about the project inside.  Forgotten in the day to day scheme of things, but not really out of my mind.  It sat when knitting came into my life, forced to the sidelines, by an error.  If I recall correctly the needle in the work below marks where my count is one thread off.  That is a deadly error in Hardanger work.  A rip out of the a goodly section of work is needed.
Its going to be a pillow top, part of my pillow top in every type of work I do collection.  There will be a knitting one too, a colourwork pillow from Eunny Jang.  This one was designed for a place mat, but like many things, the design is what matters.
I dug that book out just for fun and came across these too.  I haven't looked at these in such a long time.
I brought them with me to work today, just to peruse instead of just checking out the internet.  When these books were published, the internet was still in its infancy and the idea of spending hours on it was ludicrous.  

So I guess you could say, I am going back in time today. Back in techniques, back in print, and back to when life was a lot simpler and my boys were young instead of these great giant men they have become.  Today is very very good, but its kind of nice thinking about what was and the way the days were ordered then.  

So long as you don't get stuck there.

Update:  Obviously, I am channeling Piecework somewhat.  Piecework's July /August Issue is all Blue and White!

No comments: