Wednesday 8 August 2012

Competiton

I think I am wired to dislike competition.  I've never been much of a game player, am not into cards, and have never really gotten into sports.  The notable exception is curling which I enjoy watching and if I was any good at anything requiring timing and physical ability, and if people did not take the game so intensely, might even play. And Golf too, I suppose, but people take it too seriously.  There are no courses for duffers as bad as I am who are out there to have fun and enjoy myself.  

Most often I prefer the solitary pursuits.  Once I discovered that I could take books home from school with me (teacher didn't like it when I read ahead in the Dick and Jane Readers), there was no stopping me.  I was, as my footer on the blog page says overwhelmed by needlework at a very very young age and there was no stopping me.  Knitting?  Water off a duck's back.  All the things I have really really loved doing have been solitary pursuits.     

From very early on, I knew that I wasn't going to do any regular knitting KAL's.  There were some lovely shawl ones, the River Valley Shawl, in particular that I joined, but I tired of the idea of keeping up to clues.  That shawl will be finished because it is a thing of stunning beauty and I am very pleased with it so far.  

I joined the Ravellenic Games this year and I did OK in the Baby Dressage competition, but I am highly motivated to knit baby things.  

Then on the spur of the moment, I also entered a WIP challenge.  I'm doing it, but it really is sapping my thinking. I will tough it out and will knit on it as much as possible, but I can pretty much say, it isn't going to be finished in time.  I will need good long days on the weekend to do it right and with the garden in full production, I just can't see it.  

I am disappointed in myself.  Not in that I won't get it done, but that I joined, that I let myself fall sway to the notion when I knew that that kind of thing wasn't me.  I'll get over it.  The shawl will get done.  It just might have a flakier deadline than expected. 

No comments: