Wednesday 6 June 2012

Sound knitting

I got in a nice chunk of good sound knitting this morning.  The re-worked ribbing on the Son 2's sweater is almost done.  Another 4 to 5 rows and it should be back where I started.  

As I worked, I pondered what I should do next.  I'm not quite ready to start on baby things even if my hands are very ready to knit said baby things.  I haven't quite got what I want to knit for baby down pat.  There will be a blanket, but which one?  Which pattern?  I'd love to do a sweater, but which one of many many patterns?  I would like to knit a hat but should it be the one with the sweet peak in the center, or something with a delicate girly edge?  I anticipate knitting for a very long time for my sweet wee thing, so there is no sense in doing too much at once.

But that leaves me with a few awkward weeks.  I could knit all sorts of things, but the bottom line is do I want it to be something that I will feel driven to complete in those few weeks or will it be destined to be an unfinished object, still hoped for but not something I am driven to knit. 

The trick is to avoid that.  My WIP basket can't take any more.  The sensible thing would be to finish a few things from the WIP basket.  

That is the real question.  Am I sensible?     
  

2 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

You know what I think we should do? We should get a bunch of knitters together with their WIP baskets. Everyone put their stuff on a table. We'll browse. Your sweater that you are tired of? It's just the thing I want to knit. You want my summer in kansas shawl? That's fine.

At the end of it, all of the projects have hands to knit them, and we all get a guarantee of getting a FO back.

I think we might have something here.

Sandra said...

since when does knitting have to be sensible. And every baby needs multiple sweaters and hats. So knit thw sweet one, the useful one, the bright one, the thick one, the thin one, the workhorse one, the one that will be in use every day. It's a baby - knit away!