Tuesday 7 February 2012

Other things to knit

You would think, what with writing everyday, all the things I knit would show up on the blog.  Not so.

I was taking photos of my lovely new shawl and I was sitting being warm and cozy in it.  I had my feet up on my chair and I realized there was knitting that no one had ever seen.

A year or so ago, just before Christmas, I had this idea that I would knit everyone a pair of slippers.  There is a slipper pattern at RCY that is the simplest, most fantastic felted slipper pattern ever.

It is like a super sized sock, low fitting on the ankle and round in shape and oh so comfy.  It is so easy to customise, to add little embellishments. They are knit with a double strand of Lopi or a any Aran or heavy worsted weight yarn.  Lots of times, people would knit a strand of mohair with the other yarn just to add a little snuggly cushiness or a few strands of  novelty yarn at the ankles to make fantastical cuffs.  Once felted, they are perfect for embroidering or beading too. 

I thought I would try it.  I knit 2 pairs plus one slipper of the third pair and that is as far as I got.  I threw the first pair of slippers in the washer to felt them and after 2 good washes, they fit nicely.  But they weren't very felted.  I wore them till there was nothing left of the soles.  

The last pair was sitting in a wee tub on a shelf here for months and I pulled them out the other day when I was cleaning the study.  I felted them, but only one go round in the washer so they retain their newly knit look.  Another wash would felt them up nice and tight. Another was would also make them too small.

That, you see, was my quandry.  I was knitting on big needles, which I dislike,  with two strands of yarn (Thick yarn.  Dislike.) and the final product, given the size I knit them prefelting, was too small.  After 2 pair, that were too small, I was completely un-rewarded. Without the thrill of a finished product, I was bored.  

And that was the end of the great slipper project.  With every project I learn something.  With this one, I learned I am not a slipper knitter or wearer.  

I do socks.  It is more than enough.

The pattern is for sale for just enough to cover the printing costs, at River City Yarn in Edmonton, Alberta. The pattern is great. 

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I had the same thought one year - a basket of slippers in assorted sizes and colours for everyone. I lasted through 1 pair then decided I couldnot handle the boredom. Yet socks do not bore me.

Brendaknits said...

Without the thrill of a finished product, I was bored. How accurate a statement is that. You just described most knitters.