Wednesday 28 September 2011

Can't

Before I understood the one small thing I did differently when I knit and how I had to adapt those few stitches I needed, can't was all there was in knitting.  Once I understood, can't simply disappeared.  

Once I got the idea that I can't out of my head, everything changed. There isn't anything I look at in knitting that I don't see as something I can do for myself.  Some of them will be harder and some of them will take a lot of thinking, but they are all something I can do.  Sweaters that are not knit to my size, sweaters that are not knit to my gauge, extraordinary lace.  Whatever it is in knitting that you think is too hard for you to do, that you aren't possibly skilled enough to do is there for you, just waiting for you to try. And every time you try, you learn something wonderful.

Next time you feel like you can't, change the word.  Say it out loud.  Change it to 'I haven't learned how yet' 

Big difference.  Huge.  Life changing.
       

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

This is such a wonderful sentiment. thanks for posting it.