Wednesday 18 March 2009

Plodding my way back to Bonsai

I am working feverishly on the wee blanket to get it done. I can't wait to see how the whole project turns out, once it has been blocked and pinned and bordered. Part of me is wondering if knitting a proper hem was smart. It is after all, like knitting the thing twice, but part of me is quite convinced that this is right for this blanket.

All this feverish knitting isn't very photo friendly. The blanket still looks like a blob, maybe even like a potato dumpling. No pictures of it yet.

What I am thrilled to show you, now that the Sundog Alpaca scarf is done, is this lovely fabric. This is the Berroco Bonsai (I'm using one of the Bonsai Colors line)that I picked up a couple weeks ago. I began knitting a small Clapotis, a scarf size version with it, stumbled (made a mistake) and set it aside till I felt stronger and more able to cope with my error. I just needed to think about it for a while.

I wanted to show you how nice this fabric is turning out to be. Thephotos show just a hint of what is happening (the photo also shows a funky strand of yellow that isn't there). There is a wonderful play of light off the strands of nylon that wrap around the bamboo core. You can see glittery bits all through it.

The effect is really quite subtle. Its not as if you put a shot of metallic through your work. Its a soft sheen with no sharp edges. It's tiny pearls of light softly winding their way through the fabric. Very elegant and an absolute pleasure to knit with.

On top of that lovely little play on light, there is the feel of bamboo fibre fabric. I spent a lot of time working with Rowan Bamboo Tape last year, and loved every minute of working with the yarn. As with the Rowan tape, Bonsai stays soft and cool against your skin. Knitted Bonsai reminds me of those stunning bias cut gowns out of satin. Looking at the photo, knowing what satin feels like against your skin, well, that is what bamboo reminds me of. That same soft drape that just makes you feel like something special when you wear it.

There is one caveat though. Bamboo fibre is essentially a rayon. Some more good information here, and Amy Singer of Knitty fame has some interesting details. It is friendly to the environment in some aspects of its production and not so friendly in other aspects, rather like most cotton.


Whichever side of the green line you choose to follow, just make sure you are making an informed decision. If you love to knit and are looking for something that feels summery, try bamboo. If cotton isn't your thing, try some bamboo. If you haven't yet done so, try some bamboo.

If knitting is wasting time (as some muggles would opine), knitting with Bonsai is time wasted wisely.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I just finished a pair of bamboo socks - and the fabric is absolutely lovely. But the yarn is splitty and a pain sometimes.