Wednesday 28 May 2008

Off the Rails

You know how some days just go off the rails and the best thing, the only good thing is that you did some knitting. And how on rare occasions, knitting came make you feel really guilty.

I am a heel. Certifiable.

I was at knitting yesterday, at our new location at a public library. There was a big sign on the outside of the building to turn off cell phones to avoid disturbing other patrons. I didn't turn mine off because I very seldom get any phone calls. So of course it rings, and since it never is important, and they would leave a message, I picked it up, flipped it open and closed it again, to make it stop ringing. Checked it about half an hour later, and it was son1's girlfriend.

She had been planning to do some sewing at my house, and I thought maybe she was looking for something. But no.

SS is a horse trainer and she was bucked and broke her ankle. She tried to call Son 1, but his phone was not with him. She tried to call for the fella at the place where she trains out of but his phone was in his car. She tried his house. she called and called, but he was working in a barn a fair distance away from her. She called her mom in Vancouver (we are in Edmonton), she called her dad, she tried her sister in Kelowna. All this calling with no one answering was making her pretty desperate, so she finally called the office, who can reach my husband anywhere during the day. She hoped to avoid the ambulance fee, but he said nope, it looked like too bad a break, and she really needed to be moved by pros.

So he called the ambulance and waited with her till it arrived. By the time she was on the road, we had all checked in found out what happened and we were all feeling pretty stupid and lame and awful. But I took the cake. I hung up on her.

Our patient is going to need some surgery, it is a pretty bad break, right at the point where the leg bones and ankle bones meet. So she is still in hospital, but she is doing OK but is distressed about all the things people are distressed about when life rears its ugly head. I'm heading in today to work (yarn is good) and handily enough she is right down the road, a mere two blocks, so I can check in with her off and on through the day.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Don't beat yourself up - it was an unfortunate accident. I have done the same thing with my phone because no one ever calls me on my cell. ANd yes, I have missed an important call because I've turned it off. Keep checkin on her, and start knitting her toe caps if she gets a cast - those bare toes can get chilly. Maybe spoil her with cashmere?

Knitting Alchemist said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Don't be too hard on yourself...we've all done it.

Anonymous said...

Horrible news. Hope she gets better soon.Don't blame yourself-things happen for which we have no control-you are there now for her.

amy

Mo said...

First - don't beat yourself up about the situation. Things happen.
Second - my friend broke her ankle many years ago (she was a very fit and healthy 21 year old). She did need surgery but insisted upon having an epidural instead of general anaesthetic. Best decision she ever made (recovery time was minimal and she was out of there a lot earlier).
Just think...you'll now have a captive, *ahem*, I mean willing(?) student to convert to the knitting side!