Tuesday 8 April 2008

Sock Parade

Last week I displayed a sock parade from my Tuesday group. This week, you get my sock parade. I've been ignoring these socks to finish up other things, but its time to make them shine.

First the gray socks out of Cascade Fixation. The more I work on these socks the more I like this yarn. Its unusual stretchiness give it a whole other dimension and working it on this size needles, 3mm, means its a nice squishy fabric. I was uncertain how the ribbing would look. I wondered if the stretch would eliminate the look. It eliminates the need for the ribbing, but I still wanted a little something on the shaft of the sock.. I did not need to wonder. Everything looks good in this yarn. I'm liking these so much that I am going to make a pair for myself in very short order. Not next on the needles, but they are in the queue.

Then there is the emergency room pair. These are going to go into the sock basket, forgifting to someone else. The yarn is Sockina Cotton , and is completely wool free. Its comfortable to work with. The acrylic and nylon really add to this yarns feel, and it works up into the nicest self striping pattern. I think I would use it again, but because of the mostly cotton content, I don't think it is a good candidate for high up the leg socks. I think it is going to be great, seriously great for shortie summer socks. OK, maybe these will be for me. I could use a good pair of short summer socks.

And finally, the Fabel socks for my sister.



This yarn is amazing. No repeats! Well not quite true. But the first full repeat is starting just at the heel gusset. Most impressive. And the huge plus? It feels and works up with all the best qualities of good sock yarns. Firm feel, and yet the soft comfort of wool. This is a yarn I will be looking for again.

Last week Tuesday I went to a few yarn shops. One I have not been at for quite a while and my LYS to pick up 2 more balls of that lovely rich Garn Studio Cotton Viscosewhich goes into 'production' this week. Just need to get the Agatha pattern and some beads. I'll disscuss the bead shop later. The bead place needs a whole other post. You have no idea.

Oh yes, where was I? Oh yes, I went to a yarn store... Well you didn't think I came out without yarn did you? But it was sock yarn on sale. Really it was. And a different colour of a favourite yarn...

Excuses, excuses.

1 comment:

Knitting Alchemist said...

That last sock is GORGEOUS! Where'd you get that pretty yarn?