Tuesday 8 January 2008

We have to SAVE these people.

Spinning at 4:30 in the morning is not recommended. I tried it and lost fingers that I still have not been able to find. There is a very good possibility that if this was the time of mankind where people spun the yarn for the cloth for their clothing, I would be the naked guy standing in the middle of the street.

Since my hands did not wake with the rest of me this morning, I read several chapters in "Knitting in the Old Way" this morning. I tried learning the long tail cast on from her directions, and still it is a no go. There are several other books in the bunch with multiple casts on in them and maybe one of them will make me see the light. But so far so fair. "Knitting in the Old Way" is a very interesting read, and I foresee very good things about it being an interesting knit.

Since the cast on did not progress, I played with a piece of knitted fabric, born of the yarn from the first Calorimetry (and because I was so proud of both of these, here is the second Calorimetry midway down). I knit up some of the Patons Classic, and a couple rows of the Zitron Loft and felted a swatch just for fun. That swatch has been on the table sitting at the base of the lamp and I've been looking at it for months wondering now what do I do with it. I turned it into this.



My little needle sizer and gauge measure is in it at the moment though that might not be its best end use. Its probably going to end up holding a pen and some pencils. Kind of like a knitter's little pocket protector. (And they think Knitters are odd )

Well, after following some of those links, there is just nothing left to say. I feel so normal. But we should probably save these people and knit some (felting optional).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It still cracks me up that the only cast on I know is (wait for it) - the long tail cast on! I'm hoping to pick up a couple more in class. What I hate about the long tail cast on is (ahem) - the long tail, or even worse, the too short tail, also known as rip it out and start again. I have seen a couple methods for estimating, but they just make me overestimate even more.

I tried the magic loop method for circular knitting - not getting that either. Will have to get some help in class.

mostlylurking