Friday 19 January 2024

Meandering

You can see what I got up to yesterday.  


It's a proto sleeve!


Not a huge amount of knitting but it was a busy day yesterday.  I am preparing for a grandson visit this weekend.  Marcus and Carter are coming for a visit and I am looking forward to it. 

What with all the thinking lately about the seriously fine yarns in my stash,  I found myself thinking about some Socks that Rock that was bought for a vest from Classic Crocheted Vests.  I did start making it, but I had some trouble at the edges of the pattern and by the time I realized it, I had discovered what I did differently in knitting and was on my way to becoming a big time knitter. I pulled the vest back and I never got back to it.  I still have the yarn.

I pulled out my crochet sweater books and then I found a few videos on youtube with very inspiring crochet colourwork sweaters.  Check out Briana K s channel and just see what this designer is up to. 
It's not your grandma's crochet any more and it is so much more than granny squares.  Not that there is anything wrong with granny squares, but if you crochet, don't get stuck on them.


I made several crocheted sweaters before I discovered knitting.  I have always been a sweater fiend, and really wanted to make my own.  I did not knit at the time and decided to look for crochet options.


I made this sweater in your basic walmart yarn. Yarn choice was it's only flaw.  I was stopped by a lady on the ferry to Vancouver Island once and she asked me where I got my sweater.  She loved it.  And so did I.  I often think about making another like it.  The idea of a sampler type sweater has always appealed.  Knit or crocheted.  Either would be great.  That sweater was my weekend comfort wear when I worked in an office.  I loved it and wore it till the acrylic yarn was well and truly "killed" and the garment simply did not hold its shape any more.

I also made this one.  


It was fascinating to work those aran style stitches in crochet.  I made it in a bright yellow yarn, again from that big box store, and this one I really did wear to death.  It never suffered that acrylic death but just seemed to wear and wear forever.  The sleeves were its eventual downfall.  They slowly became a mass of hard and slubby yarn as the fibre wore.  In its heyday, I wore it regularly to work.  If I was making an aran style sweater today, it would be a good long wearing hardy sort of wool so I could really wear it forever.

I did have a granny square vest, made in taupe and black and cream.  I was so proud of it and how it turned out.  If I had to go out for dinner, I wore it with a black silk shirt and my best wool dresspants.  I have no photos of it and the pattern book was given away a long time ago, but I think of that vest often. So yes, I did have a granny square piece of clothing

And socks.  Yes, I made crocheted socks, three or four pair, I think before I understood knitting. 


I made a pair of these socks but the yarn I used did not last long.  


They were great, but they just did not last.  Maybe I wore them too much?  I had several other pairs and if you look, you can see them featured in several blog posts back from the early days of this blog.  I wore them for camping because they were so warm and thick and cozy. 

I do still think of crocheting some garments even though I knit now.  Crochet is so rich in texture and is so sculptural.  Plus lace.  Crocheted lace is classic and there is nothing finer than a lacy sweater over a simple tank top.  Even though they are long, long out of fashion, I still have a bit of a thing for doilies.  I would frame them now rather than put them on a table top.  

I am so thrilled to see that things that are being done now with crochet.  It was a long time coming from the days when I first made crocheted sweaters. While I would absolutely make crocheted sweaters and tops, I am not likely to make a granny square sweater out of mohair, which is the best possible sort of granny square sweater I have ever seen. I might love them but it isn't my look.  It isn't my thing.  I am over that part of me.  

No comments: