Wednesday 18 October 2023

Making Something Good, Great

Progress on the Linger sweater is happening.  It looks like very little progress but it is progress.  


The thing about Fisherman Rib/Patentsteek/Knit One Below and Brioche knitting is that it is a bit slower than usual.  The lush stitch creates a wonderful texture but it means you knit two rows to advance one. I knit off and on all morning on this and it looks like a paltry bit of knitting, those few rows that are below the arms.  But I know how many rows there are and I feel good about it.  I am below the arm split, and it is nice easy knitting from here down with only a very few increases for the body fit.  For all that it is a bit slower than usual, I am really enjoying everything about this sweater.

After it was time for knitting to pause, I did a bit of patching type sewing and then I did this.

I love m Elton sweater.  The fabric is light and soft and surprisingly warm for such a fine yarn.   I love the way it looks too, a knitting win in every way. 

Except for the buttons.  The buttons were always popping out of the buttonholes.  They are a bit too small and the edge of the buttonhole is soft.  They just wouldn't stay closed.  
 

I was going to simply firm up the buttonholes and sew them more tightly, but as I was preparing to do this, I found myself thinking that I would never wear it open.  It's unstructured, casual style, which I adore, looks best buttoned up. 


I sewed the fronts closed.  That is the perfect thing to make this sweater a complete and utter delight. This is now a finished finished sweater.

I have plenty of yarn left. I could use a vest to match so that I could wear the sweater longer in to fall and earlier in spring. With all the other projects I want to knit right now, there just isn't time to make one. All I need is a few more hours in the day.  I don't think that is going to happen.

Back to the sewing room today.  Those long johns I wanted to sew are sorely needed and I mean to make them happen.

No comments: