Monday 10 April 2023

Happy Days, Or trying to be

Oh happy days.  No I am not quite able to knit but it was still good.  Great in fact.  I went to Scott's house for dinner yesterday and had a wonderful time playing with Grandkids.  And babies.  And toddlers all of whom are grandkids!  Also I learned that the Easter Bunny poops chocolate eggs from five year old Emmett, which just charmed me.

Before I left, I took a photo of our front lawn.  


Twenty four hours later, this is what was left.  


And by supper time today, there was only the smallest bit close to the house yet.  Not to worry, there is lots in the back yard, lest you think spring is fully here.  

I did try knitting last week but that did not work well, so I am back to absolutely no knitting and very little anything else that can be done with my hands.  Yes I am going nuts, and yes, I am on the verge of depression.  Honestly, what do people do if they don't do things with their hands while sitting watching tv?  I am just numb with boredom.  

I did do a wee bit of sewing today.  I had one last shirt to buttonhole and do the buttons so that is now done.  I decided to do the first step to some really interesting projects.  I sewed a muslin for the Ashton Top from Helen's Closet with a leftover bit of fabric from another top.  I adjusted the shoulder length and the top fit really nicely.  



My next things is going to be sewing a proper top.  I may do the expansion pack but the bigger challenge is to see if I can change it to a dress. I plan to use the Hexham dress from Muna and Broad as a guide.  I haven't sewn a Hexham dress either so I will have to sew one of those too, to check the fit.

 The Hexham dress is designed for knit fabric and the fabric I want to use for dresses is not knit.  That is how I ended up buying the Ashton top.  I did not want the hassle of resizing the top of a dress designed for knit wear, but I ought to be able to manage a skirt and a Hexham styled dress with the look of the pink dress on the pattern page is the goal.  There is quite a bit of sewing to do before I get to goal.

The other thing, with all the button hole making I have been doing, I finally managed to give my sweet little York Pinafore a wear to see if it was the right fit for comfort and wearability.  The answer is no.  It looks great while I stand but when I sit it pulls far to tight for comfort and before the end of the afternoon, the bottom buttons had popped off.  I do have an idea of how to get a bit more room in the hip area, hopefully without changing the way the dress looks in front.  That will happen later.  First the Ashton top and Ashton hack and then the Hexham styled dress.  

No comments: