Sunday 29 January 2023

Zooming Along.

The weekend was for working with the zoom loom.  I am quite sure my experience with this loom will make my work on the larger pin loom better, faster and much much more rewarding.  


It took almost no time at all to work up a first square, maybe an hour and a half.  I picked it up and set it down a few times though, so I am not really sure.  It wasn't long.


There is a place where I missed a thread but it seemed to sort itself out and it was not worth taking apart to fix.  It is good enough for where it will eventually go.

By days end I had a wee packet of five squares.



I did a couple more today just to be certain I had the technique down pat.  Or close enough that the squares are not falling apart when I take them off the loom.  

This little loom really is the perfect thing for sock yarns.  I can see a huge array of colours resulting from my bits and ends of sock yarns.  I have tons of ends and it is nice to know that there is another little way to use the them up. I mean, I like monster socks (socks made with ends) but I like to use new colours and new yarns so that my socks are always interesting.  Repeating the same thing would be dull.

I have a feeling though that this little loom is never going to make squares that are the same and that each one is going to be unique.  I can already see that this is part of what makes this little thing fun.

Going back to my ten inch pin loom, the plan is that now that I have the technique soundly set in my head, to get back to it and make some dishcloths.  I set it down because the larger tools and yarn were hard on my hand and after the first cloth, I wanted to go slowly.  The first thing I want to do on that loom, is to mark the pegs into groups in the same way they are on the zoom loom.  Markings of groups is really going to help keep me on track and it will then be so much faster to warp and to do the actual weaving.  I also am going to get a long upholstery needle to do the weaving.  A finer but sturdy tool will make that go much faster and will be easier on my hand than the crochet type hook I am using now.  

It was a great weekend for experimenting and playing.  This week, though, I am looking forward to more sewing.  Lots of that to do before I am done, or tired of it.  And soon, maybe I can knit.

No comments: