Monday 12 September 2022

Challenges and Colours


There wasn't a whole lot of knitting over the weekend.  There was birthday party driving to do and partying and strangely when you added that up to F1 race hours, there wasn't a lot of time left.  Well, and then there was napping.  Besides, the sweater is at a bit of an awkward stage.  

It was time to start the outer part of the simple pocket/pouch for the front.  It looks a lot like a sock at the moment with a giant wing off one side.  A giant green worsted sock.  The idea does have merit but sweaters first.





As I wrote last week, I have been thinking about colour for the inside of this pocket.  The debating is over.  The inside of this pocket will be rust.  It has nothing to do with possibly being short of yarn.  I already know I will have plenty.  Its about the spirit of the thing, the soul of it and indeed, the heart of me.


 
This also means that there might be the smallest bit of colourplay going on at the welts (edges) and that means something a wee bit different than just the usual ribbing for them. I was leaning to making an i-cord edge, but colour opportunities are limited, all or none.  I don't want the colour to be in your face so I think what I will do is a rolled edge.  

I have used it before on a few different garments. I will knit five or six rows of reverse stockinette when it is time to do the edging, then the same number of stockinette rows and then the reverse stockinette and finally a nice section of stockinette that will roll to form the final edge.  That middle row of stockinette bits kind of bows back and will be a nice little hiding place for a pop of colour that is only visible sometimes.  That sneaky bit of colour is exactly what I want for this otherwise plain sweater.   

The front pocket part is almost long enough.  It is a guess at this point.  The bottom of the pocket part does not have to be down to the bottom edge of the sweater.  I think it is more desirable if it doesn't.  The intention is not to use it as a pocket so much as to use to to warm up my hands when they are chilly or tired or need a break from knitting. If it gets too long, it becomes less snuggly for hugging hands.

My task for today is to learn how to properly intarsia in the round.  I know it can be done.  I have seen it done.  I understand the principle trick of it but now I must learn to DO it.  

PS.  I am still trying to write in the evenings versus mornings.  It's a bit of a struggle but I do hope to get there.  Bottom line, I am back and writing feels good again.  Might make no sense at all, but it feels good.

No comments: