Friday 4 March 2022

Turns dreams into Real

Ah to dream and dream again.  


Sewing is not particularly great for blogging.  I get started and never pause to rest my hands and take photos.  Sewing is full of bits where you stop and start so you never end up with cramping and never quite seem to have the same need for arms stretches and wrist bends.  You might need a good back stretch, but you can do that when you are getting the next seam ready to sew.

My dress fabrics arrived.  When I was purchasing last year, I bought only two pieces of fabric with the intent to make a dress.  One is already sewn and I found one other piece where I have the four metres minimum that I need for a nice gathered skirt to attach to the Torrens Box Top. I may have one other, but most of the fabrics are three metres and that is fine for a shirt of any kind, but not enough for a nice dress.  So I bought a bit more fabric once I had my bike shorts idea.  


Two lovely airy light weight cotton rayon blends.  Perfect for summer wear which is really what dresses are for.


A navy linen cotton blend.  This whole five metres was under twenty dollars and was therefore too good to pass up. The black and white gingham is the usual cotton poly blend, which I adore because the checks are so small and last, also an easy care cotton poly.  All the fabrics are very light weight.  


Ahem.  Yes.  Four. Fine. There are five.  I had forgotten about a value buy I did a few days before the flowery brighter fabric haul.   I wasn't really looking for five.  I meant to buy only two to treat myself for my johnny come lately decision about biker shorts, but they were a really good deal and now that they are here, they are perfect for what I wanted.  All of them.

I may make one of these fabrics into a Waikere dress, with its button up front (like the blue version I think, with the gathered skirt) but we shall see.  There is a lot to be said for the utterly easy care of slipping the thing over your head and calling it dressed.  

I just remembered.  I do have one other fabric for a dress, one truly lovely thing and I am not sure what pattern I will use.  It is one of those florals with roses on a black background that just takes the breath out of me it is so pretty.  



No comments: