Monday 29 November 2021

Monkeying Around

With the arms done for all the monkeys, It is time to do the tails and the tails have a problem.  This tail is 18 stitches around.  That scale seems to suit this small monkey, but 18 stitches means 6 stitches on each side of the needle and as many needle switches as there are stitches.  


It would take forever.  This.  Is.  Fiddly.

I debated about how else I could do it and I am opting for a seam.  


Eighteen stitches flat knits up in next to no time.  I did try knitting flat, because this is the perfect sort of thing to keep in practise with knitting backwards, but I just didn't want to invest the time right now.  Too many other things to do.  There is one other huge plus by knitting the tails flat.  By pulling firmly on the seam as I sew, I think I can give my monkey tails a wee bit of a curl.  I don't need much curl, but  a bit would be a very sweet thing.  

I have also been thinking about backpacks.  I mean to do a wee backpack for each monkey.  It is where I will tuck a special something for each of the kids.  I will do them all in leftover sock yarn and I think they will be crocheted.  Crochet especially for small fiddly things is going to be a lot faster than knitting.

By the end of the day, my wee pile of monkey tails was saying I am half done.  I spent very little time today knitting though so I am pretty sure that tomorrow should get the rest off the needles.

As I said though, I did not do a lot of knitting today.  I was deep into some more sewing for me.  It's going really well and I can't wait to show you tomorrow.

No comments: