Thursday 4 February 2021

All the Fuzz!

I was whining this morning to the landlord about my glasses and a possible upcoming change of lenses.  By mid afternoon with my regular vision lenses, everything is fuzzy.  It isn't a big deal but it did make me think of stuff for today's post.  And it is timely too, since I have been knitting with delightful fuzz.

I spent some time the other day working on this.  I have to call it a thing at this point because I am not quite sure what it will  be.  At this point, raglan is the only thing it is.  


I did make one other decision about it, a johnny come lately decision to double strand it.  Or to double strand some of it.  I won't really know for sure what it will be or if the double stranding will be for the whole thing or not till I have a wee bit more complete.  It is a matter of yarn usage.  If I double it all the way, and aim for a sweater, I am pretty certain it will have to be a short sleeved little top, which would probably suit the yarn really well.  I also like the idea of double stranding it a la the Shakerag Top.  If I do that, I can have longer sleeves and a very light but more airy ... something.  Doing it that way, I could have a summer sweater of delicate lovelieness, or and ethereal popover similar to a poncho.  Yes a poncho.  I am not generally big on ponchos, but like shawls, if a picture gets in my head, I could go for it in a heartbeat.  

I am not sure if you can tell in the picture, but the bottom inch of it is with the yarn stranded double.  It isn't a speed knitting project that is for sure.  It takes a bit of care to ensure that both strands are captured each stitch and that you pick up both strands of the one below. The yarn is Phildar's Phil Light, a 100% nylon concoction for the mohair disliker who wants some fuzz.  It is splendidly soft.  I am currently knitting it when I need to feel ladylike and delicate. That doesn't happen very often.  

No one has seen this since April of last year., an Elton sweater, pattern by Joji Locatelli,  in River City Yarns Adam and Eve and Fleece Artist Zambezi in the companion colourway, River.


I don't think I have shown much more of this than a swatch.  That certainly is all that is shown on my Ravelry page, but there is quite a bit more knit than I remembered.  The pictures cannot capture how very pretty this is.  The blue shows as much more turquoise but it is deeper and bluer, more marine blue perhaps.  Surely a colour of water though.  

I do intend to start a cowl with this delight on my next 'weekend'  unless I am in a sweater or blaket fugue.  


I wound this Hand Maiden Maiden Hair not so very long ago for another Huj Tub. (Where are those umlauts?)  

And my Christmas gift to myself, more of the gorgeous goodness of Hand Maiden Super Kid Silk to work with River City Yarns Adam and Eve, 


for what I am very sure will be a Love Note sweater from Tin Can Knits.  This glorious lace weight mohair will be held double for the lace part of the sweater.  There is lots left over by making a Love Note and using it only for the lace patterning but that is okay.  I have a plan.

Way back, before I was bit by the mohair bug, Mason Dixon put out Field Guide No. 4, Log Cabin.  One of the special things in it was Ann Weaver's Sommerfield Shawl.    Mason Dixon did kits with a hand dyed mohair and I craved it, but I had decided to do more of my purchasing locally or at the very least, not from out of the country sources.  The kits were not going to happen for me.  I did have a fair bit of mohair on hand and what I really needed was something to pull them together for the shawl.  The leftovers from Love Note and this stunning Bird of Paradise colourway will do that.  I have green Jelly Kidsilk Haze and I Killer Red as well, so if there are leftovers from the Elton in the gorgeous blue River colourway, I won't even have to buy any yarn at all.  If I do, it is only some blue. 

I see fuzzy and it is all good. Here come the fuzz, all the fuzzy goodness and more!

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Thanks for the heads up re the Maiden Hair Mohair I have been thinking of Mohair lately too. Laceweight Mohair makes a great carry along with wool for extra warmth in hats mittens, socks & slippers.
And re your raglan sweater. I love it. Raglan is my favourite sleeve style. I am too fussy about the precise location of the shoulder seam on a set in sleeve, and a dropped shoulder style is too overwhelming on my petite frame. Enjoy yours.