Monday 11 January 2021

Just Imagine

It is 11:59 a.m.  I am just having my first cup of coffee and am just waking up.  It has been a whole weekend of long sleeps, of big sleeps, of sitting with my knitting, falling asleep.  Even my night time sleeping pattern is unusual, with much more sleeping happening.  From whence come these changes?  Probably some little cold bug my system is fighting off.  Sleep.  The underrated cure all for the little stuff.  

My goal for today is to get a couple pairs of pants cut out and sewn.  If I get that done, I will have won the day.  

As I cut out the non muslin test pairs, I compared front and back rises to my pajama pants which are a rousing success.  These patterns are just there.  I didn't  make any changes to the cut and I have a really good feeling about how these will fit.  Which just goes to show that the incredibly lazy things done by big pattern companies is inexcusable.  There is a lot more going on in any woman's body than the pattern graders in your design houses know about or think about or care about.  

Can you imagine yourselves trying on clothes where the top is three sizes too large in the shoulders but you have to get it because if you didn't,  you couldn't button it up?  Can you imagine being stuck buying pants where you can pull up the pants to cover your boobs but when you sit, that self same article of clothing leaves your behind on full view of the world? And you buy them because there isnt anything else?   Can you imagine that?  

And then, can you imagine that there is only one store carrying even those wretched fit things because everyone else only goes up to 22?  If that? 

Can you imagine how after decades of feeling like that, hating everything you have in your closet, knowing that no matter what you find, you will never feel like your best self because even clothing stores for people your size don't value your size.  Imagine how you feel about the who you are.  

And then imagine that you find a pattern company that grades for women of size.  Imagine one that will grade patterns to fit if they do not already have you covered.  Imagine that.

So if I get a bit emotional about sewing stupid pants, just ordinary pants that are trendy and comfortable with seriously clever design details,  actual design details,  well just forgive me.  Its a pretty overwhelming idea for a woman of size.

Back at the start of my knitting, back at finding the answer to what I did when I knit that no one else did, and finding out that no, I was not too slow to figure it out, that I had just never been exposed to a knitter who understood the myriad of ways to get there, I discovered a sense of freedom and personal power I had never felt before.  This was mine and no one could take that power from me.  

Same.  Muna and Broad have given me such an incredible gift.  Just imagine.




No comments: