Monday 14 December 2020

Making Special

The blanket has earned its blanket status this past weekend.  I can no longer knit with it unsupported.  I work with it sitting on one of my WIP stools.


I switched to the second ball of cream and I am almost finished the thrid ball of the gray.  By the numbers, I have twenty-two inches to knit till the second border part.  (That takes me to a 72 inch long blanket)  

I am still feeling pretty confident that I will get this one done before Christmas.  I have been working carefully and haven't had any return of hand problems.  I have taped my ring and middle finger together a few times more, but not all the time and not every second day.  It seems to be more on the days where the rest of me aches too.

I feel pretty good about the game boards being completed before Christmas too.  What I am feeling a little less positive about is cookies and baking.  I am not sure that that will alll get done before the time where I want to deliver my packages.  I was kind of hoping to send some treats along too.  But, I am going to try to co-opt the landlord into making poppyseed rolls with me.  If I can get help there then I will be very happy and the most important baking thing will get done.  

A lot of people are feeling very down about Christmas this year.  Getting together is a no go here because of the public health bans.  Alberta has skyrocketing numbers of covid deaths and they are begging us to just stay home.  It is sad indeed that I can't hug my grandkids this year.  I am going to miss the noise and the joys of all of them together all at once.  I will miss worrying about the big meal and sharing family stories and cheer around the dinner table.  But like everything else, those days will come again, and I do intend to be there for them.   

I am planning some different things for this year.  First is of course, the big box of things to deliver to everybody's homes just before Christmas day.  I am planning to do a big Skype with all of them, skype because I know how and you do not need accounts to use it.  And then I have been planning some slightly different things for me too.  

I am including some puzzles in my gifts to myself.  I have a sister in law and neices and nephews who set puzzles in between Christmas and New Years as a family activity.  I like the idea of doing one just for something different.  

I have ordered myself some new yarn for a rather brilliant something or other.  I am not really sure what I am going to make but I figure if I get a sweater quantity, I am good for anything, right?  

I have also gifted myself the Knitmore Girls book, Operation Sock Drawer and I have ordered the actual real book of it.  I don't often do that anymore.  There are always space concerns here, but for Christmas?  Only a real book will do.  

Closer to the between Christmas and New Years season, I am going to get  myself a couple of audio books more than my usual one a month.  

Oddly, I haven't found any dvd's for myself.  That is the first time in a few years, but there is so much to watch available online that I will be well stocked for different things without hard copies required.  Those days between are a good time for dipping into what I already have:  a Sci Fi fest of Star Treks and Firefly, Serenity and Haven, and all the many many episodes of Stargates or for an Austenfest with all the various vesions produced through the years.  

I am also going to bring in a few beverages for myself.  I know that sounds weird, but I rearely drink at all.  Occasionally a glass of Bailey's or possibly a glass of wine, but it isn't generally in the budget.  But because it isn't something I normally do, it is perfect to add a little bit of titillation to my regular routine.  Having a glass of something in the afternoon while I lounge on the sofa, reading or watching a favourite video sounds lovely and decadent.  Hot cocoa with Baileys and Amaretto anyone?

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are out there, alone, and are feeling down about the season, plan for something different.  

Plan for something foolish, something silly, something that you just normally don't do but enjoy.   Find a video game you can play online with your grandkids, even right down to some you can play while you are doing video calls on messenger.  I have a nephew who plays chess with his girlfriend across the room and Cassie and Marcus play Among Us with their mom when she is away working.  There are tons of them out there.  Be guided by the kids.  

Plan for a different dinner.  Turkey is difficult alone but you know what?  Maybe crab or lobster for one?  Caviar?  Personally, I am thinking of  rutabagas with white sauce and a cheesy crumbs topping and a salmon filet with pumpkin or yam pudding for deesert.  I am also thinking of real gingerbread date pudding with a brandied brown sugar sauce on it too.  Two deserts?  Why the heck not?

Yes it will be different.  Yes it might be weird, but it doesn't have to be bad and it certainly can be special.  Make even the planning of it special.   Life, even life at Christmas is what you make of it.  Life is short.  Waste it wisely.

No comments: