Wednesday 25 November 2020

I will have enough yarn.

Way back I mentioned being nearing the end of the first ball of cream.  Guess what?

I am still on the first ball of cream.  There was a lot more cream in the bag than I thought there was.  If you can see through the sides of the giant ball, it means you still have a lot of knitting to do.  

I measured the work and my blankie is now 37 inches long.  The first Sock Monkey Cabin Blaknet I knit was at 45 inches when I switched to the second ball of white, which gives me a bit of an idea of just how much blanket I will get on this wider version.  

The pattern is written for 130 stitches, which seemed a bit small to me.  That is okay for a lap blanket but I wanted a blanket for two to curl up in.   The first blanket was 150 stitches wide.  It was great for a couple with a tiny grandchild or two tucked in with them.  But the rest of these blankies need to be family sized as in parents with a couple squirrely kids under them.  This second blanket is 180 stitches wide and I can really see the difference in the amount of yarn I am using.  It really doesn't feel any wider at all.  It fits nicely on my needle and it isn't taking demonstrably longer to knit, but it is sure eating it up the yarn.  

I prepared for this when I purchased.  I bought 5 balls of cream, two for each blanket and one just in case.  Just in case is probably going to happen.  If I knit this blanket as long as the first, I will need yarn from a third ball of the cream.  

So often when I knit, I am in uncharted territory.  It is an expeiment, I might be winging it, it may be a new to me designer or a new shaping but I never know  how much yarn I will use.  It is never a comfortable thing.  This kind of sureness about yarn amounts is very odd. very odd indeed.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Needles,

I wish I could say the same. Reading your post today I'm beginning to think a big blanket is just what I need to start. I haven't made one for awhile. I've been working on baby blankets for friends in the last year and a half. I'm so thankful that knitting keeps me calm and grounded. In lieu of the lockdown, I think everyone could use some of that right now.

I was wondering how many grams are in a ball of the yarn you are using. I am am trying to calculate how many balls I am going to need and checking my stash. I have a tingling feeling that I may have to place an order. Calculating the requirement always seems like such a challenge.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Fay