Monday 17 August 2020

Doing much better now

I made it thrrough one full repeat of the lace and I also made it to the third row of the second repeat.  I have to stop now and think something through.

Every second row on each side of the corner there is an increase that allows for the slwly growing size of the outer edge of this border.  Eventually, that increasing will mean that more stitches should get put into the lace pattern and that is where it gets weird.

Some shawls that I  have made wait for enough stitches for a full row repeat of the lace before putting the extra repeat in.  The Multnomah shawl is a great example of that.


You can see how the plain at the center of the shawl gets wider and wider till right near the bottom, there are enough stitches for another repeat.

The Shoalwater Shawl. , by the inimitable Evelyn Clark, was different in that the lace repeat just seemed to continue and as it grew, the lace seamlessly grew.  I have no photos showing the ends so check out the Ravelry page.  

I have knit several variations of Multnomah and one Shoalwater and both were great.  My trouble now, my decision now, is how to treat the corners on this shawl, so that at the end, all are the same.

I think I am going to dig and find the Shoalwater pattern and see what she does.  My pattern is slightly different but there may be some good clues.

No comments: