Thursday 9 July 2020

A sock update

 I spent the day doing eveerything I didn't plan to do.  So no more plans for the days posts for a while.  Maybe.

I went through the socks and that was kind of fun.  It started because I was looking for sock needles.  I have many pairs of sock needles and yet, none are in my needle jar.  None of my preferred sort that is.  I prefer a nice 6 inch needle at 2.5 mm, 2.25 for some yarns, but I never seem to knit socks that are being knit on 2.25s.  It must not feel right somehow in my hands.  I digress.  I am certain that I have at least six pairs of my favourite needles, and yet now that I am looking, I cannot find them.

I dug out all the socks.  It is easy to imagine that I forgot some of the socks I have ongoing.  

I started these a while ago, during a short few seconds while waiting for grandkids.  


The giant ball of yarn is my monster ball.  All the wee little bits of yarn that I could find in my bits and ends bag, all tied together so they can just be knit.  I have the ball of blue at hand and will divide the colours with a shot of blue, I think.  And heels will be double, the monster strand and the blue.  This is a kind of Adventure Yarn.  

And then the very very striking blues and greens of my Fabel socks.


One sock done, the second started as you can see, but only just started.  



And the formerly disappointing socks.  Not nearly so dissappointing.  When I first worked on these I was sure they would be great but they seemed bland and I could find little joy in them.  And the farther along I worked, the more joy they gave.  They are soft.  They are pastel.  But they are really rather pretty in a delicate sort of way.   When I wear them, I shall pretend my much less than delicate feet are beautiful.


My Heritage sock.  These were the saddest socks ever.  I knit half a sock and hated them.  It is hard to make me hate a sock yarn I chose, but I really did not like them, even as much as I liked the way the colours worked in the skein.  Dividing colours sections with two rows of charcoal is the perfect thing.  

And then just for good measure, I started a sock yesterday.  Just to see if my hands were ready to knit.  And no.  No they are not.

But this pretty sock yarn from String Theory is getting worked up into simple socks.


I adore the greens.  I am not so much into the brown, but because it is a hand dyed yarn, I appreciate the gentle variations in the colour.   

I went through all the boxes and bins and this seems to be it, but I just have a feeling like I am missing something.  I haven't really worked on socks since winter, but I am certain that there will be some sockish acheivements shortly. It is race season finally and sock knitting is the best knit for races.  Plain round and around is just the thing.

Formula One racing is back and though not everything is as usual, I appreciate the efforts they are making.  I had a marvelous weekend with the last race and maybe this weekend, I won't be too excited to knit! 

No comments: