Wednesday 29 July 2020

Knitting a Hap Centre

No actual sewing happened yesterday.  It is what I did all day, but none of it made it to the machine.  

I took out my pattern which is a pair of pants that have been taken apart.  They fit well, but like so many of my clothes, were so old and worn so long that the fabric was see through in some vital spots.  I used them as a pattern for making pants for my trip and I am glad I did.  Wearing them under travel conditions was a revelation.     

One of the many things I learned on my epic adventure was that I wanted, needed more ease to find a pair of pants really comfortable for hours of sitting in a car, but not all over.  Just a couple of adjustments and they would have been perfect. It was a really good test.  I made the changes I was looking for to the paper pattern I am making now and then set it aside to think about it for a while.  I decided to double check seam lengths against my two pairs of best pants (which are still seven years old) and then it was too hot to cut.  I want the cut to be right.  I don't have endless pj fabric and pjs are tricky.  They have some needs all their own.  

Pjs require total comfort and I want to be sure that when I cut the fabric, I am cutting the right size.  If by chance it is too big, no problem.  With sewing, you can always go smaller.  You only get one chance to cut it though, so cut it big or cut it right.  It was too warm.  My paper pattern waits.

In the afternoon I knit and watched old movies from the vast collection of dvds.

It was too warm for the sweater so I picked up my Hansel ish Hap Shawl.  I swear it is eating the stitches.


I knit a fair bit on this shawl, but honestly, that row never gets shorter.  It still takes me the same amount of time to knit across as it did two weeks ago.  It doesn't change.



I put a marker on it for sanity's sake.  It shows how much I knit.  The row ought to be shorter by ten stitches, but no.  Now of course, I have not counted the number of stitches because as every knitter knows, if you do, the tricky knitting gods will make sure that your count is wrong or that it will take the stitches out only to add them back when you next have your back turned.  

It promises to be warm again today.  Forecast says the rest of the week will be this way. All the blinds are drawn and the windows are closed and I am ready for the day.  But not a knitting day.  No.  Today is not going to be a knitting day.  Or a sewing day.  Today has its own peculiar adventures.


It's a shruken chair.  And it needs fixing.  Wish me luck.

No comments: