Monday 13 July 2020

Everybody needs a little bling

The very first thing i saw after my kiddies were out the door was this.  I called when they were just down the road but Cassie said she would pick it up next time.  I think the kids were ready to be home, to play with pets, to sleep in their own beds and to hug their mom.    But seriously, doesn't this hat just say that everybody needs a little bling in their lives?  


I've never been much for bling.  I have some rings and some earrings but they aren't big bling, just sensible sort of bling.  My real bling is my yarn stash.  In every way, little and big, flashy and downhome blingy, that is my stash.  

I was thinking about the good things in my stash this morning after a link came up on facebook from WEBs yarn about using precious stash.  

For people of my generation, Sunday best was a thing.  We always had Sunday shoes, a Sunday coat, and when I was very little, Little white gloves for Sunday.  What yoou wore at home didn't matter so much because if you had to go out suddenly, you always had Sunday best to rely on to be clean and decent enough for strangers to see you.  Somewhere in my teenage years that changed and before you knew it, everyone lived in jeans all week long including Sunday, but the idea of Sunday best remained deeply ingrained into our way of thinking.  We still had Sunday best dishes, we had things we only did on Sundays and for years, Sunday best remained part of the way we thought of things.

When good yarn came into my life in a big way it was difficult not to sort yarn that way.  My Tove yarn collection, over one hundred skeins strong,  became a vital and important part of the good yarn in my stash along with the Einband, the Shetland Ultra, the Isager Spinni Wool 1, the Tosh DK, the...I could go on.  I do have a rather a lot of yarn that I consider special.

And after the last year and a bit, I am getting better at using it.  I knit the first of my intended Einband Icelandic shawls and I am now working on the Shtland Ultra Hap, and I am actually knitting the Madelinetosh Tosh DK and I have plans to use the Tove that are very definite in one case and almost certain in another.  But the point is, I am getting better at using my special yarns, and wearing my 'bling'.

Use the good stuff.  Today is the day for all the bling.

No comments: