Friday 29 May 2020

A Wonderful Life.

Well here we are.  Friday morning and I am left sitting here, wondering where did Monday go?  Or was it Tuesday?  I lost a day this week and it has discomboulated me.

I did knit yesterday after my adventures potting all my plants outside.  Once again, I worked on the shawl.  I think this is going to be a project where I mark my starting point so that I can tell I have accomplished something.  It looks just the same as the day before, though I knit on it for 3 hours.  The needles I ordered last week arrived and I moved the shawl on to bamboo tips and it is like magic.  My hands move with much more sureness and speed.  It feels faster but the square or triangle looks the same.  And kind of wonderful.

Today's work beyond knitting is breadbaking.  Since getting the oven repaired, I have made regular things, things that I couldn't do without it, but there are so many more interesting things I want to bake.  I would like to see if I can make a more artisanal style bread.  My bread machine dough cycle makes lovely loaves of fine grained bread but there are other kinds of bread and I would love to explore them.  Bread can have so many different tastes and textures and that is what I want to aim for today.  I rediscovered some bulgur in the cupboard the other day and am going to use that up today. I am looking forward to the taste of something wonderful.

This quarantine stuff is hard on all of us but as hard as it is, there are still so many good things.  Not once have the vast majority of Canadians had to go hungry because food was not available.  We might have been unable to get the particular thing we wanted on occasion, like flour and yeast, the most surprising things not in grocery stores, but there was always plenty of other things.  We had warmth on the days we needed warmth.  We had shelter.  We had our basic needs covered one way or another for the most part and that is pretty gosh darn wonderful.

But it is the part of us, of all Canadians, that are not part of that 'most of us' that concerns me.  Canada is a pretty darn great place to live. It is better than dozens and dozens of other places in the world and yet, as good as it is, we have a lot of work ahead of us to make it a wonderful place for all.  
  
I could spend hours thinking of all the ways and things that need dramatic changes and improvments and it could overwhelm if I let it.  There are actions I can take and knowing that, doing that, feels pretty good.  Wonderful even.  

No comments: