Monday 26 August 2019

Taking myself to school.

By now everyone knows about the fiscal troubles of the last owners of the company that published Interweave magazine and many others.  It is getting sorted out but in the meantime, I thought I should do a backup of all the video and other digital product that I purchased from them over the years.  As I was doing my review and backups, I was reminded that last fall, when there was a really good sale price on, I purchased several videos about weaving and spinning.  I had kind of forgotten I had them, so it was a nice surprise.

Now that school is almost back on, and that life should settle down for a bit, and that I am working to change the way I use my time, taking a video class seemed like a good way to begin.  I started watching a basic weaving class hosted by Tom Knisely .  This is a really nice beginner class and has already been well worth it.  



I had the loom warped at one time and had woven an couple inches.There were errors  I wanted to correct before I got too far so I cut it off to repair.  Cutting it off wasn't my original intention, but I couldn't see how else to resolve it.  I had planned on sorting it out with repair heddles but they did not work as well as I hoped.  Too bad I had not watched the video before now.  I could do it now with minimal trouble. Ah well.  

Over time and what with the grandkids being curious about the loom, it all sort of got messed up and I just covered it with a blanket and wished it away.  

A few weeks ago, I decided I was just going to do dishcloths which is what I really need right now, and could worry about towels when I was a wiser and smarter weaver.  Then my recent conversation with frazzledknitter helped me sort out what I needed to do to make it happen and here we are, ready to go, all tied up nice and firmly, so nothing will happen till I get to the weaving.  Which will commence next week.  The plan is working!

It was nice to begin this little adventure by taking myself to school. It is the time of year when stretching your brain is good.  Mine got a real workout today and I feel fresh and invigorated and tired, but the good kind of tired.  


No comments: