Monday 29 April 2019

Down to the wire or getting ready for garage sale two.

Usually on  Monday, I have lots to say and lots to show you, but that isn't quite how I feel this morning.  I feel kind of sluggish and thick of head. That ought to improve once I get some coffee in my system.  

I did a lot of knitting on my sweater over the weekend. Miles of stockinette are perfect F1 Race day knitting.   I only have 2 inches to go if I go by the standards of the pattern.  I do think about making it longer but then I go back to the photos of other people's projects and I'm not sure that would be a good idea.  The better looking tops are on people with no notes or no notes about changes to the pattern.  What seems to happen with extra length is that the side hemlines become too long and can look a bit out of place. It is possible that some nitter's have not done the short row section at the back nd that that leads to the long look sides.  Either way, I hope my extra girth will give it the support it needs to look balanced.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.  

I did knit bit on the lace and there was some sock knitting too, but the sweater won out.  It looks good and I can't wait to wear it.

Mot of the day is going to be preparations for the town wide garage sale.  I'm a bit worried about rain, but the landlord has said the garage will be ready enough to keep goods undercover should it be a miserable weekend.  Today I will be digging out the rest of the household things to go on the sale tables. After today's work, the rest of the week is going to be devoted to a deep and thorough going through of the yarn.  I love my yarn, but there are some things that I know I am just not going to get to.  I have lots of single fingering weights and really would like to go through those as well as sweaters quantities.  I love it all but really, seriously, I want to work with the things I love best.  There aren't really very many stinkers in the stash but there are some yarns that will never be my first choice to work with.

At the same time, I want to organize my stash better.  All these additions and deletions and busy times and all the general living has meant that when I added something or was merging tubs of yarn, things often just got shoved where it would fit. Sometimes, particularly nearing the end of the job of a stash dive, things just got 'put' so it would be done.  When I look at the closet now, I can see there are some tubs that have room in them and other tubs that are over flowing. By going through and clearing out a few more tubs of yarn and by reorganizing as I go, there should be room to do a better job of putting yarn together by the kind of project I would use it for.         

It's an ongoing job really, sort of like laundry and dishes.  Living with it, using it, taking yarn in and out, means that there is always an ebb and flow of fibre and every once in a while, just like dishes and laundry, you have to deal with it.  The bonus is it is much more fun dealing with the yarn.  

Even when you are not just organizing, but are actively seeking to get some of it out of your own stash and into the stashes of other nice knitters and crocheters.  

No comments: