Wednesday 7 November 2018

Woolgathering: indulgence in idle fancies and in daydreaming; absentmindedness

I think I mentioned it before, that besides my regular blue pair of glasses, I have a different pair of glasses for using by my computer and I use a different pair of glasses when I am watching TV from my bed in the evenings.   My computer glasses are the best lenses by far and more and more, I wear them all around the house.  My clearest vision of all is no glasses and just holding stuff close.  

This morning, I was in my room and noticed that my regular glasses were by my computer.  I wasn't wearing glasses at the time, so yay me, for seeing them at all.  I put them on and thought I better go get my computer glasses and put them by the computer before I forgot. I often toss my glasses beside me on the table or on a footstool when I am reading my tablet and assumed I had done this.  I could not find them in the livingroom.  I looked in the kitchen. I went back to my bathroom.  Might I have left them there, having taken them off to clean them?  And then I found them...right on the top of my head.  

I am not going to hold out much hope for today. 

But then again, there is coffee.  There is a crisp morning out there that I can easily avoid by simply staying at home and I did see my blue glasses on top of my black computer case without any glasses on at all.  Maybe it's a winning day after all.

While I wasn't doing much knitting, I have been sorting out a small problem Maybe a big problem.  But it was a problem that has completely stopped work on the Chase sweater.  


The pocket is the problem.  It isn't large enough to do a duplicate stitch badge.  The badge is a shield with a star inside and there simply are not enough stitches do do the details.  I do so want to give Marcus what he wants.  And a full pup badge is what he needs.  I am sure he would tell me this with such a look of supplication which I couldn't turn away from.  You know how it is.  Little boy eyes and little boy dreams.  

As I was sorting out my shelves yesterday, I kept shifting this large roll of tear away stabiliser I have.  I set it down on top of my box of embroidery threads once, and it hit me, that what I needed was an embroidered patch sewn to the pocket.  I could get the details on the badge much more easily and more crisply on fabric than on yarn. I might have a bit of the right blue fabric to do the work on, but if not, the patch could be fully embroidered, covering a plain white fabric.  The stabiliser will keep it all nice and firm while I work. And a little plus for Marcus, Grandma can use the grey he told me not to forget around the edge of the shield. I didn't have yarn to do that in duplicate stitch.  I was planning to just use yellow but now all bets are back on!

So today, I have some embroidery to do and in case you are wondering, that is glasses off kind of work. First place I am looking for them later is the top of my head.      
  

No comments: