Friday 17 August 2018

Dashing and Diving

Before I went to bed last night, I managed to get tmy big sweater to both sleeves done and I kept going to just below the colourwork.  Being done the colour change is a huge accomplishment.


I am thrilled.  Plus, there is plenty of the rust left, 2 balls in fact, if I decide I want to finish off in the rust.

There are other things on my mind too.  Working with Osprey on my Cat Boat is one of them. I have always known that I was going to be short.  Now that the back is almost done, I know by how much.

I always thought I would order a couple more skeins of Osprey in a soft colour.  I thought that till I started to place an order.  If I  order it from the maker website or if I order it from a retailer here in Canada, two skeins will cost me about 75 dollars (incl shipping and exchange).  Yup.  That much.  I just don't want to do that.

The Cascade 220 grey that I purchased for it needs a sport weight to go with it. My plan was too double it, but that is heavier than the Osprey.  I talked it over with Frazzledknitter, and have been looking at my stash.


I took out a few things to work alongside the Cascade 220.  The bottom section has a light fingering weight from The Yarn Pirate worked with it.  That feels ok, but it seems a little light. 

Section two is worked with some Mochi Plus.  It has the perfect weight, but I'm not 100% in love with the way that the two yarns work together. 

Section three is the Mochi Plus and some grey Rowan Cocoon that is the perfect match for the Mochi Plus. Rowan Cocoon alone is a bit light and I don't like the way the single looks alongside the Osprey.  I LOVE the way these two yarns look together. I love the softer blending of Mochi colours with the Cocoon blue grey and the two strands of yarn combine to mimic that twist of the Osprey closer than any other combination so far.  But it is, again, a little bit heavier.

All of these combos are to knit a panel of something different in a block for the front of the sweater. I can do that or I could knit sleeves out of another yarn and make it almost look like a vest.   I do have one other option, and that is, to go sleeveless.

I'm still on the hunt for a combination of something that will work from within my stash or for something that will make pretty sleeves.  I have to be honest though.  Simple (and I do like simple) gives me a pullover vest with a small decorative hood rather than the turtleneck. Today's plan is to go stash diving to see if I can find something I love, or to choose that other path.

All in all, it was a great week.  I finished Granito and made half of another sweater. Even if I don't make my personal goal, it isn't a bad way to finish up the second last week of Stash Dashing.


No comments: