Friday 16 February 2018

What Fun Looks Like.

I got home and pulled out my yarn for my sweater.  I had to sort out needles.  They were between the study and the livingroom and then I looked at colours for a few minutes and I started to knit.

And then I went to look at the pattern.  Yup.

Because that is when you look at the pattern, right?  After.  Sure.  Actually, for me it works fine.  I just finished a sweater in a yarn that works up very close to this yarn.  It was still in my head how many stitches I had on those cuffs, so I started there.  

And then I knit and watched a movie.  And knit and watched another movie. And somewhere in there, I had some dinner, but I did watch another movie and I knit and knit and had just the most wonderful time.


This is what fun looks like. Pure unadulterated fun.

You can see the sleeve lying there in the middle and you can see the range of yarn I am drawing this from.  From this far away and in this picture, it looks like there is less colour variation than there is in real life but it generally gives a soft natural gradiation from darkest natural to lightest.  I am breaking colour sections with a section of black and red because I worry - it is what I do - about running out of the other colours.  

I am under the yarn requirement in the pattern by about 100 metres and that isn't counting what I need to give me my fit, just for the run of the mill size.  So natural gradient it is, and then I have lots of yarn to play with.    

My secret is that the yarns vary in weight somewhat, but the vast majority is a lofty DK.  I am just starting on the third colour of the main yarns and that yarn is a Cascade Eco, which perfectly matches the colour of  a lone ball of Sirdar Eco Wool DK.  I can easily knit it to the right size and I can hide that there are 2 different kinds of yarn for this colour, mostly by using the Cascade on the sleeves and the Eco Wool Dk on the body.  

But this is fun.  And such an adventure.  I wish you could share it.  If you are a knitter, go out and try something weird or odd or do something just a little bit differently than you have ever done before.  And just sit back and let it happen.

Mahatma Ghandi said, " A man is but a product of his thoughts, what he thinks, he becomes"  If this is indeed the way it is, I am become joy. 

No comments: