Friday 23 February 2018

One Fifth

I checked this morning and I am done one fifth of the colourwork and done one fifth of the yoke. It's a little intimidating if I look at it as a whole yokes worth of knitting, but much less intimidating if I look at it as sections or unique motifs in this colourwork design.  I am knitting the very last bit of the first major motif in the colourwork pattern.  Yay me.


Colourwork isn't something I am fast at.  This patterning is exacerbated by my choice to use two colours.  

I am working carefully to be sure that there are no tight strands across the backside of the work and what I am finding is that I have to work much harder to keep the strands loose on the hand that is my regular tension hand.  I noticed that same thing on the hat I knit for my neighbour last fall: if strands on the backside were tight, it was always the regular tension hand with the trouble.  

Really focusing on the work going on on the sweater, makes the whole process slower but slower means fewer problems and less ripping back.  So it is all good.

I really am enjoying the slow process in this yarn.  I just love the feel of these sink your fingers into it layers.  It is cushy and squishy and thick without any density or heaviness at all.  And there isn't going to be any problem at all with float lengths.  All of these yarns love to cling to each other.  Not to the point of unworkable, mind, but none of these yarns are yarns that I will have to worry about not staying where they are put. The carried floats will cling to each other by the time it is worn and washed a few times. 

So, on to knitting the next large motif in the design, and moving just a little farther up the yoke. 



 

No comments: