Tuesday 9 January 2018

Staring Me In the Face

Do you ever get the feeling that something, an answer to a quest is staring you in the face and has been for a long time?  That happened to me yesterday.  


Remember this yarn?  I want to work with it so very much.  It calls to me and it is driving me batty.  I decide what it is going to be and then, when I am ready to start, it changes its mind.  

I thought about making a sweater for my granddaughter.  I thought how cute a shortie sweater would be in the lovely Yellow Clara on the right.  The idea died a natural death in my mind when I saw that gorgeous ball of Kureopatora.  I thought oh well, a Shalom. The two skeins look magnificent next to each other. Sadly this isn't really a kids yarn, certainly not the Clara.  It is too softly spun for an energetic 5 year old in school.  For everything else, the yarns are magnificent, but it is a lot of bright yellow.  

Make no mistake.  I love that yellow but then if you go back through this blog, the fact that I have curtains with dandelions on them in my bedroom and a yellow checked couch in my livingroom, is a dead giveaway.  I love yellow and I always have.  I remember a dress I had in grade nine.  I loved that yellow dress then and if I had it still, and it still fit, I would totally wear it now. 

I have thought about making a Daybreak.  I have thought about doing a brioche cowl and trying one of the many new patterns that there are for that technique. Just yesterday I thought of a Collonnade Shawl.  And just this morning, while writing this post, the Matchmaker Cowl.  

And in each and every case, by the time I woke next morning, the idea had changed.  The yarn, sits there on my table, staring at me.  It wants to be knit.  I want to knit it.  What is the problem?  Why can't we get together?  It is staring me in the face and I have no answers.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my hands are cold.  They ache.  It's a bit of arthritis perhaps, or perhaps just age, but if it weren't for my nice warm coffee cup to curl my hands around, I don't know how I would type.  

I know what I really would like to knit (yellow yarn).  I know what I am knitting (socks and a sweater).  I know what I really need to knit (Handwarmers and a sweater that I am not quite sure of. No, not the sweater I am working on).

Until I decide, or till it is time to go start the chores of the day (bread and finishing tidying the spare room), I am going to sit here with my nice warm freshly ground Ethiopian coffee in my Tim Hortons cup from long ago when they were Canada's best coffee, and I am going to think hard about brilliant yellow Clara and bright sunny Kureopatora.

No comments: