Wednesday 22 February 2017

Step Back and Knit

There are times when my modus operandi feels like a practise of running away. In a way it is, but I don't know if it really matters, but retreat can sometimes be a good option.  My granddaughter reminded me yesterday, when you are frustrated, take a step back and ask for help.  Taking a step away from a thing is good.  It gives you time to think about it.  Most often the answer is there, buried under your frustration.  So I am going to wait a bit, settle my frustrations, and my spinning wheels are going to sit and taunt me till the weekend.

I retreated to knitting, which is going nicely. Not quite the usual way of asking for help but it works.

I think.  The sweater is ready for a try on and that will happen this evening.  If I know that the top works, the rest is easy.

I love how it is coming together.  It is the Elfe  by Astrid Schramm.  The original has only 1 row of the multi colour yarn, but I am using 2 rows in each instance.

I am doing this because I have 2 skeins of the plain grays and 3 of the lovely multi coloured.  It is complicated by the fact that these are not normally my colours.  There is a little too much orange tones gold in it to really work close to my face.  Using a doubled striping sequence, will also, I hope, even out the strong gray element in the strong multi.  I was concerned that a single line of it would get lost.  The other plus is that I can work as long as I need to in the lovely colours.  Plenty of it.

Elfe is a T shirt style garment and that is what I planned at the start.  I am debating sleeves should there be enough of the gray left.  I am not 100% sure I want them, but I hate to let yarn go into the miscellaneous stash if I can use it up.

I am also thinking seriously about knitting another in cottons.  Spring is close and I do have some really great linens and cottons and other yummy blends.  The simple lines and relaxed shape of this t shirt make it a great project even without the stripes.




No comments: