Friday 17 June 2016

A long and busy week.

I am so glad this week is coming to a close.  It's been such a zoo, but the work is progressing and it will be over soon enough.

I did manage to get a little knitting in.  I needed something to pep me up so I started something I have been thinking about for a while.

Way back in the early spring, I started working a striped shawl with some deliciously lovely sock yarn from Custom Woollen Mills. 

It is their new sock yarn with some nylon for strength.  The nylon also gives it a real boost in softness and I really am enjoying working with it.

I did not like the stripes though.  Well I did, but it just seemed that this yarn could be something so much more.  So I waited and looked and took it all apart the other day to start something even better.

It's kind of small yet, but I am really enjoying it so far.  It has an unusual to me way of increasing at the side.




I am making the Waiting for Rain shawl.  These are large skeins and I do hope that I have enough yarn with 2 skeins.  There are some really lovely projects out there where the garter stitch is in one colour and the lace is in another and that is what I mean to do.  The garter stitch in the gray, and the lace in the creamy white.

The original shawl is lovely and light with a soft smooth worsted spun yarn, and my yarn is a somewhat lofty softly mulespun yarn.  In some ways it is about the farthest away that you can get from a smooth worsted spun yarn but I like the contrast. I can't wait to see what the lace works up like.  You can see the nature of the yarn in the garter stitch above.

It's a study in contrasts.  It is mirroring the way the house is.  I can't wait to see it all done in the house too.


No comments: