Wednesday 6 May 2015

Knitting little

Lest I get ahead of myself, and because apparently even though my head wants to finish that top, my hands don't, I knit very little yesterday.

Yesterday was devoted to corners.  Now you could assume that a household that has only been lived in for a year shouldn't need corner cleaning, but in truth, the corners are where the last 'stuff' most needs cleaning out.

I have this lovely little desk by the front door.  Up till now it has been hidden behind a chair so it only ever got used to toss things at when I walked in the front door. It was so stuffed that I couldn't even close its delightful little roll top. (The roll top is the entire point of the wee desk.) And now, voila!  tidy and clean and ready for the next onslaught of 'stuff'.

I discovered things that don't belong to me, but to my boys.  And really they are old enough to have their own things.  I just don't need them.  

I discovered  some things that made me cry a little.  Stupid little things that just don't mean anything in the grand scheme of life, but are unique and precious to me because they are part of the before.  

I did knit a little in between but mostly I worked on this.  I may have spoken of this, but not much.  It doesn't even have a Ravelry page yet.
 A great big Granny Square afghan. I made one years and years ago, and it quickly became contentious because several guys wanted it.   He won and they still have it.  So I will make another just for me.

I am making this in Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool, a lovely heathered red wine heather colour.  I plan to make it be only a lapghan size, just big enough to cover my legs and mostly my feet on a chilly evening.  I have shawls for my shoulders and what I really need has to be small enough so I can knit without being hampered by blankety excess.

It is a mix of solid rounds and filet rounds.  I am on the last of this set of solid rounds, and I know there will be at least one more set of three rounds of filet, and another set of solid rounds before I bind off, but beyond that, I am just going to work slowly till it tucks nicely beneath my toes.

I started with 24 balls of this yarn.  That is way more than any sensible person needs to purchase for a sweater, but we all know that sense has seldom been applied to moi and yarn, without fits of giggling.  I am on the 6th ball so far, and I can see using 3 or 4 balls more for sure.  Beyond that, its hard to say.  the size of the blanket needs to be right, but I am starting to feel an equal desire for a wearable in this colour.

Anyway, that is what is up for this snowy chilly day.

No comments: