Wednesday 13 May 2015

I was supposed to be on my way to Saskatoon

but my cold is coming back.  or it is extending.  Or it isn't a cold and I have to go see a doctor.  Pick one of the above.  I don't want to spread this germ around so I am staying at home.

So its on to the next thing I have been working on.

My dear Auntie Doris asked for another of the fan scarves I made a few years ago for her.  She is very allergic to animal fibres so silk, cotton, acrylic and linen are my options. Linen isn't quite the right fibre so it is out and acrylic is only going to be right if it is very smooth.  

I have been focusing on silk for warmth but I have some nice cotton too.  Cotton, nice and thick and hefty, can be soft and warm, even though it cannot compare to wool. I have been assembling some fibres and yarns that might work.

I came across a non repeating fibre from an east coast dyer at my LYS that was 70 % silk and 30% sea cell.  It was about a DK weight yarn so I thought I would try it.

The colours are really deep and rich blues and greens, though I am having a truly difficult time getting a good photograph of it.  This is from last week.  See how wonderfully well the yarn is holding the fan and ribbing?  

I have finished it now, with its two elegant fans.  the pattern is the Fan Neckwarmer by Tania Marshall.  I am going to try through the day today to see if I can get a better picture where the blues are not so washed out.



Well, a decent phot, but still sadly lacking from the true richness of the colours.

It's practically the perfect little coat scarf and I will make more of these in the future.  Maybe even one for me!

No comments: